The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Space may not existr!  (Read 1900 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Space may not existr!
« on: 04/09/2007 09:34:28 »
Meanwhile, Markopoulou's vision of the universe as a giant quantum computer might be more than a useful analogy: it might be true, according to some theorists. If so, there is one startling consequence: space itself might not exist. By replacing loop quantum gravity's chunks of space with qubits, what used to be a frame of reference - space itself - becomes just a web of information. If the notion of space ceases to have meaning at the smallest scale, Markopoulou says, some of the consequences of that could have been magnified by the expansion that followed the big bang. "My guess is that the non-existence of space has effects that are measurable, if you can only see it right." Because it's pretty hard to wrap your mind around what it means for there to be no space, she adds.

This extract was taken from an article about Lee Smolin's research into quantum loop gravity. Read the whole article at http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2006/08/11/339534-you-are-made-of-space-time

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Space may not existr!
« Reply #1 on: 04/09/2007 10:10:51 »
We have discussed this before some months ago when it appeared in the new scientist.

I feel that this is getting close to a real theory of everything.  Ever since I was a teenager and I started to study nuclear science and relativity I have always believed that it would turn out that our space time universe would turn out to be built out if bits of space time tied in knots.  Like the Zen story of the blind men and the elephant  all the various branches have something to contribute.  Couple space time braids with the reciprocal properties of string theory (the "braids" are probably vortexes and very like strings in some ways) and real and imaginary space time dimensions (collapsing the real dimensions will cause the imaginary dimensions to expand from minuscule to become bigger and expand)  and an understanding of the evolutionary driving properties of resonances and other existence time enhancing processes (my particular hobby horse)we could end up with a fully quantum physically understandable model of the multiverse and the place of our universe within this structure as a perfectly unexceptional element with a limited life within something of a totally indeterminate scale.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Space may not existr!
« Reply #2 on: 04/09/2007 10:15:02 »
I'd like to know a bit more about that theory - in idiot language.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Space may not existr!
« Reply #2 on: 04/09/2007 10:15:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums