The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How to get rid of a corpse  (Read 66451 times)

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
How to get rid of a corpse
« on: 29/03/2003 15:29:00 »
Ok, this is rather morbid but i was thinking...

you see on telly when people have been murdered their assailant buries them in woodland etc... i know this is a great place for bacteria etc, but surely there are much better places to leave a body so it decomposes quicker and thus gives you more chance of getting away with it.

I was thinking that old copper mines would be a prime location as there is associations with chalcopyrite which is an iron sulphide. The sulphides form acids in the lakes that form a the base of the old pits. One such pit in Cyprus i have visited had a pH of less than 1! surely if you dumped the body with a weight in there it would be broken down in no time? even animal bones around the edge of the lake had become powdery soft!

[xx(]

Thats Economics...
« Last Edit: 14/03/2004 05:35:52 by NakedScientist »

Offline pat

• View Profile
Re: How to get rid of a corpse
« Reply #1 on: 29/03/2003 20:26:13 »
Great suggestion, but doesn't your choice of murder locations become kind of restricted to where there is a copper mine within a few miles !

Anyway, excuse me a minute, I think my mother in law might be calling me....!!!

Pat

Pat

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 29/03/2003 20:49:37 »
Richard - there is a special Yes Concert being laid on at Hyde Park in July this year. Advance preference tickets go on sale Monday (31/3/3). Do you want to go ? My treat.

Chris

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/03/2003 06:22:32 »
Hey, thanks for the idea. I do some freelance writing, maybe it's time to work on a murder mystery.
Donnah

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #4 on: 30/03/2003 10:03:15 »
Donnah - do we get a cut of the profits for providing the inspiration ? Or how about publishing it online on naked scientists !

You could call it "The appliance of science"

Chris

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/03/2003 10:55:55 »
Being a geologist i know of numeros mines in the UK with such favourable conditions... [xx(]

I was thinking though, would teeth be better able to cope with the acid, are they not made from calcium flourite which is one of the most resistant materials? They could trace the person on their dental records....

Here's the scene though for a book, you could make it a holiday murder... throw in some and horrid sexual twists... perhaps the murderer gets off on torturing the person. How about he/she cuts crucial arteries then while their still alive lowers them into the mine water just to hear their screams! hahahaha i sound pretty evil!

Also, i'm sure if you attached a big enough piece of concret to someones feet and dumped them at sea they'd disappear... I guess you need to put a fairly heavy bit of rock on cos don't bodies swell with gas?  

Thats Economics...

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #6 on: 30/03/2003 20:53:25 »
The point about teeth is probably not a concern because any dentist will atest to the impact of a well known brand of cola on teeth.

Also, regarding your point about sending someone to the seaside in 'concrete wellingtons', according to forensic archaeologist Corinne Duhig, whom we interviewed on Naked Scientists last April - http://www.thenakedscientists.com/html/shows/2002.04.07.htm - the body falls apart under water and then bits start washing up in a rather gruesome fashion on nearby beaches or make interesting 'catches' for fishermen. Apparently the key with this otherwise excellent form of murder (because sea creatures eat the evidence) is to enclose the body in a non-degradable net with a sufficiently fine net to prevent any identifiable parts slipping out. Then leave it to the crabs, prawns, fish...

Lastly, your point about teeth not being eroded by acid in your 'mine murder' reminds me of a case where a multiple murderer was 'dissolving' his victims in an industrial acid bath. The 'residue' he then threw onto his garden at home. He was trapped, however, when police found a gallstone amongst the roses. Being almost pure cholesterol the gall stone had escape the effect of the acid and survived intact.

Things that make you go mmmm...!
« Last Edit: 30/03/2003 20:54:56 by chris »

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31/03/2003 17:17:58 »
any idea about the date of the concert?

Thats Economics...

Offline NakedScientist

• View Profile
    • http://www.thenakedscientists.com
« Reply #8 on: 31/03/2003 23:44:17 »
17th July (Thursday) in Hyde Park. We tried to contact you but no one answered the phone (we rang for ages). We've now bought tickets (and got front-row seats - seriously !) but they are still on restricted issue until the first week in April - see http://www.yesworld.com for details - click on tour / hyde park.

TNS

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07/04/2003 22:58:13 »
Well what if the murderer was a denturist who selected victims that had complete dentures?  It would make your "Appliance of Science" title even more fitting (pardon the pun).  As for your cut, it would be roughly the same as what I get for posting my ideas here.  I would mention you two in the intro though.  Publishing it online on Naked Scientists?  mmmm...!

Offline NakedScientist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08/04/2003 18:35:48 »
Seriously - publishing online is definitely the way to go because it is instantly more accessible to everyone, everywhere, and the start-up and distribution costs are tiny compared with printing to paper. The audience grows as the product attracts attention, and is easy to monitor so that you can track how your product influences the market, it serves as powerful online self-promotion, helping you to be taken seriously by publishers who would otherwise not give you the time of day - you can hit them with objective data demonstrating that your product has a niche and is popular. This reduces the gamble they take in investing in you and hence they are more likely to take you on.

You have a science background Donnah - why not write for naked scientists ?

TNS

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12/04/2003 17:23:20 »
Your vrey connvincing, u sur u wnt mi to right an artcl?

Got any suggestions for a topic?

Offline NakedScientist

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13/04/2003 23:27:30 »
Why that's supposed to be your choice !
TNS

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26/04/2003 20:50:56 »
speaking of disposing of a corpse, did anyone hear about that guy in the US who put the corpse of his wife through an industrial shredder over a bridge? It was almost the perfect crime but a witness came forward to say they had seen a man acting suspicious with a shredder. Closer examination of the area turned up a few articles of jewellery which were later identified as hers. He then owned up to his crime. [xx(]

Essentia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem...

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27/04/2003 01:52:40 »
I remember hearing about that.  Didn't they find bits of human bone along the shore?  Can you imagine actually putting someone through a shredder?  UGHH!!!

Exodus, what does the Latin mean?

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27/04/2003 10:21:03 »
? not ? multiplied beyond need.

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27/04/2003 11:21:26 »
The latin is actually one of the major principles of western science although in my opinion it relates to eveything i do so its my favourite quote.

Its Occam's Rule. "hypotheses should not be multiplied unnecessarily"

Essentia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem...

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #17 on: 07/03/2005 13:51:56 »
i understand the best way to get rid of a body is to first stab the stomach releasing much of the gasses then wrap it in chicken wire along with some large stones and drop it in the sea the chicken wire alows the little beasties to start recycling the body but stops parts floating off and surfacing also by dropping in the sea rather than inland the tides will make the search for the body more difficult if anyone sees you

Interesting, no the other thing... tedious.
The philosopher Bender

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #18 on: 08/03/2005 08:52:05 »
When I took analytic chemistry, my instructor had a bottle of what he called "Jack's Magic Solution" which we used for cleaning the deposited crap out of glass vacuum filters.  I believe it was a mixture of sulfuric acid, nitric acid, and potassium permanganate.  (I don't know in what molar ratios, sorry murderers)  He implied that if one were to dump a body into a plastic barrel and fill it with the stuff, the entire corpse would be able to wash down the gutter in liquid form.  

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline Corbeille

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08/03/2005 20:49:42 »
Round here we stand them up in bus stops.

Nah pop no style, a strictly roots!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08/03/2005 22:14:05 »
....and we stick them in the recycle bin....takes a bit of manipulation  (epecially if rigor has set in !!)....but it works.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Jel

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10/03/2005 22:24:48 »
Yet to invert the Paddington syndrome, where people disappear completely in major incidents because it's the perfect way of breaking with one's past, there's also the occasional incident of "One Corpse Too Many": the finest way of hiding a body is amongst other bodies...

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #22 on: 11/03/2005 08:50:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ylide

When I took analytic chemistry, my instructor had a bottle of what he called "Jack's Magic Solution" which we used for cleaning the deposited crap out of glass vacuum filters.  I believe it was a mixture of sulfuric acid, nitric acid, and potassium permanganate.  (I don't know in what molar ratios, sorry murderers)  He implied that if one were to dump a body into a plastic barrel and fill it with the stuff, the entire corpse would be able to wash down the gutter in liquid form.

I asked forensic archaeologist Corinne Duhig (http://www.thenakedscientists.com/html/shows/2002.04.07.htm) this. She said that gallstones are a big give away and have helped to incriminate people who have done just this because being predominantly fat (cholesterol and phospholipid) they don't react terribly well with the acids. In the case she mentioned theyy were the only residue of the deceased and turned up in the garden where the acid bath had been emptied...

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #23 on: 12/03/2005 22:46:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by chris

I asked forensic archaeologist Corinne Duhig (http://www.thenakedscientists.com/html/shows/2002.04.07.htm) this. She said that gallstones are a big give away and have helped to incriminate people who have done just this because being predominantly fat (cholesterol and phospholipid) they don't react terribly well with the acids. In the case she mentioned theyy were the only residue of the deceased and turned up in the garden where the acid bath had been emptied...

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Guess you should follow up with some benzene or other strong nonpolar solvent.  ;)

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline Iron Sun 254

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31/03/2005 15:56:40 »
The best place to hide a body is in the belly of a shark.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 31/03/2005 15:56:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length