The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: why does a can of diet coke sink in water?  (Read 8987 times)

paul.fr

why does a can of diet coke sink in water?
« on: 04/09/2007 16:42:09 »
I put two cans of coke in the bath, the regular coke sank to the bottom of the bath, yet the diet coke did not. Why?

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04/09/2007 17:13:06 »
i think the real question is why are you bathing your soda? anyway, it is probably because regular coke is more dense than diet. which is as it should be.

Offline eric l

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/09/2007 17:30:16 »
I take it that regular coke contains a lot of sugar, which increases the density.  In diet coke, sugar is replaced by sweeteners, of which you need less by weight to obtain the same sweetness.  So for the same volume, diet coke will weigh a bit less.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #3 on: 04/09/2007 18:54:12 »
In other words a can of normal coke is heavier than the volume of water that it displaces ,whilst diet coke weighs less than the water it displaces and the difference is due to the contents being different.

Offline eric l

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/09/2007 19:29:24 »
In other words a can of normal coke is heavier than the volume of water that it displaces ,whilst diet coke weighs less than the water it displaces and the difference is due to the contents being different.
... and unless there is a void in the can (filled with carbon dioxide probably)the diet coke should be less dense than water, because the can itself is obviously a lot denser !

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04/09/2007 23:29:15 »
There is a void filled with gas at the top of canned drinks (otherwise they couldn't make a sloshing noise when shaken, which they do). The can will be denser than water, but the average density is still less than water. I think it's more likely that even the diet coke is heavier than the water, but you can put it to the test by opening the can and very gently pouring some of it down the side of a glass that already contains water (may be messed up by the fizzing of a newly opened can so might be better to let it stand for a few hours first) and see whether it looks darker at the top or the bottom of the glass. If it's not very clear, try it again this time pouring water onto coke and see if you get a different result.
Then post photos ;)

If you go into a supermarket and stand in the aisle with the fruit squash and get someone to hand you some "no added sugar" and some "no artificial sweetners" squash (of the same make, in the same sized bottle), you should be able to tell which is which without looking at the labels as the one with more sugar in is a lot heavier.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/09/2007 23:43:00 »
Neil asked this Question similarly some where back when.. and recived answers also.:)

paul.fr

« Reply #7 on: 05/09/2007 00:01:58 »
Rosy, i will do that and post the pictures in a day or so.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 05/09/2007 00:01:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums