The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Upper GI scope  (Read 7197 times)

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
Upper GI scope
« on: 27/05/2004 08:50:35 »
I have to go get an upper GI endoscopy done soon.  What should I expect?  I'm not too keen on the idea of a long tube stuck down my gullet, but I'm sure there are some good drugs involved.  

Stupid acid reflux.  [xx(]

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
Re: Upper GI scope
« Reply #1 on: 27/05/2004 11:46:54 »
Jay, what happened exactly? I'm going to uni to do chemistry in September, any advice for me? It seems that the lab reactions you are doing are pretty hazardous.

Angel

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/05/2004 16:22:00 »
Lucky you Jay.  They give you a sedative, then get you to swish some goop around your mouth to numb it.  Then they try to get you to swallow while they put the tube down.

Have you tried taking plant-based digestive enzymes with your meals?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/05/2004 16:44:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by cannabinoid

I have to go get an upper GI endoscopy done soon.  What should I expect?  I'm not too keen on the idea of a long tube stuck down my gullet, but I'm sure there are some good drugs involved.  

Stupid acid reflux.  [xx(]

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

As you may or may not know I have trouble getting to sleep...about fifteen years ago I had an upper endoscopy and because I was terrified of being 'knocked out' I refused the sedative....(the thought of being put to sleep so quickly is so alien to me )......if I recall, they lay you down on your side and you tend to burp a lot becuase it continuously fills your tummy with air.....I even had a look down the camera and saw my own tummy..... The upside of it, is that I got to go straight home.....with me they found patchy ulceration across the lining of my tummy....

Jay...it was uncomfortable for me, but please do not worry about it....if you have the sedative you'll be fine....as my sister did last week when she underwent the exact same procedure....

I wish you well mate.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'  

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28/05/2004 19:19:50 »
Angel,  I don't think this is a result of anything that happened in the lab.  Most of the stuff you'll do is pretty innocuous, though I don't recommend eating or directly inhaling most of the chemicals.  =)  

I'm having it more for the swallowing trouble than the acid reflux...my throat muscles tighten up and I have a hard time swallowing anything dry or meaty, like steaks or sandwiches.  Anything softer or liquid is fine.  She thinks it's because of acid reflux causing tissue damage in my esophagus.  I'm still debating it...I had an H. Pylori infection as the initial cause of this and the antibiotic treatment made it go away for quite a while, but it's slowly come back so I'm thinking that the antibiotics didn't kill it all off and it's resurging.  

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/05/2004 23:57:23 »
Just a thought for you Jay, but I have trouble swallowing when my neck is out.  My chiropractor uses percussion to restore alignment (I won't go to the ones who twist your head).  Relaxing neck and shoulder muscles via yoga and massage helps tremendously.

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31/05/2004 11:03:56 »
Hmm...worth a shot.  I haven't had an adjustment in a while as my back has been a lot better.  I have some seriously impacted wisdom teeth that are coming out next week, it wouldn't surprise me if they were the culprits either.  

I've noticed a correlation between the pain/pressure caused by my teeth and the weird things that happen to my head when I'm having anxiety problems.  (dizzyness, light sensitivity, disorientation, that sorta thing)  I'm terrified of the surgery though.  =(  

I found out how badly they were impacted just a day after being told I need a GI scope, so I'm not having a great week.  Though it's a better one than my girlfriend is having, as she just learned this week that the swelling in her thyroid glands are tumors that may or may not be cancerous.  Biopsy is on Wednesday, let's wish her luck.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31/05/2004 23:58:04 »
I wish you both good luck Jay!  I hope it all works out well.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01/06/2004 00:53:18 »
Jay, you may not need the GI scope after your wisdom teeth are out.  I had that surgery for all four, two of which were badly impacted.  It was a pretty easy recovery and didn't hurt all that much.

Sending your girlfriend good energy.  Does she come from a background where she could never speak out, or get a word in edgewise?  Garlic, maitake and shiitake are foods that can help inhibit tumor growth.  CoQ10 is probably a good idea, since it promotes immune function.

Now I'm gonna tell you about my GI scope just to make you laugh.  They injected me with a sedative and while I was being wheeled into the surgical theatre a doctor walked by and said "hi".  I replied "I sure am!" with a big assed grin on my face.  It seemed ridiculously funny at the time.  Once inside I swirled the local freezing in my mouth and then the doctor started to insert the scope.  I thought it was going down the wrong way and put up my hands to motion him to stop.  He started yelling at me "swallow it, swallow it!" and tried to jam it down my throat.  Adrenaline kicked in and I grabbed his hands and his assistant's hands and pushed for all I was worth.  I saw both of them hit the wall and the black rubber thingy fly up in the air, then I was out cold.  I woke up with a sore throat, and that doctor never came to check on me after the procedure.  Probably the smartest thing he did as far as I was concerned.
« Last Edit: 01/06/2004 01:00:17 by Donnah »

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04/06/2004 05:24:41 »
I don't know about any man jamming something down my throat and telling me to swallow it.  That could make any woman go ballistic.  But not even coming to check on you afterwards?  Maybe he was in the ER getting treated for a back injury from getting slammed against that wall.  Bet he never tells another woman to swallow it.

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05/06/2004 23:04:53 »
Yeah, it's not so bad.  I have intraveneous sedation as well as massive amounts of local anaesthetic, so I didn't feel a thing when they were actually doing the extraction.  It was kinda cool really, like someone cracking walnuts in my head.  

Later on that first night, I was miserable because they used a very long acting anaesthetic and I couldnt feel the lower half of my face for about 8 hours, not even enough to drink.  By the time it wore off enough to drink anything, the surgergy sites were quite painful, so there was a little lag between that and when the Vikodin kicked in.  

Today it's swollen and a little sore, but nothing major.  I can feel that the pressure and disorientation in my head I've been experiencing the last many months is gone.  I think these teeth were at the root of most of my problems. (no pun)  The two uppers were impacted almost 100% above the back molars, the bottom left was growing sideways into the back molar, and the bottom right was still lodged in the jawbone and growing out the side of my gums.  

I think the GI procedure is going to be more uncomfortable but have less of a recovery.  Your story didn't exactly give me much reassurance about the whole ordeal.  [:p]  I think I'm going to have a urea breath test done for H. pylori first.  They diagnosed and treated me for it several months ago, and for a while after the treatment, I felt better, but I don't think it killed all of them because the symptoms slowly came back.

Offline Karl2004

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28/06/2004 16:40:10 »
quote:

Hmm...worth a shot.  I haven't had an adjustment in a while as my back has been a lot better.  I have some seriously impacted wisdom teeth that are coming out next week, it wouldn't surprise me if they were the culprits either.  

I've noticed a correlation between the pain/pressure caused by my teeth and the weird things that happen to my head when I'm having anxiety problems.  (dizzyness, light sensitivity, disorientation, that sorta thing)  I'm terrified of the surgery though.  =(  

I found out how badly they were impacted just a day after being told I need a GI scope, so I'm not having a great week.  Though it's a better one than my girlfriend is having, as she just learned this week that the swelling in her thyroid glands are tumors that may or may not be cancerous.  Biopsy is on Wednesday, let's wish her luck.

Offline Karl2004

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28/06/2004 16:43:00 »
quote:

Hi There

Im new to here, just wanted some peoples opionion on something.
I have been suffering with my wisdom teeth for about 9 months now over the last couple of months the pain has got worse, one of my wisdom teeth is so far up its touching the floor of my sinuse which causes alot of cheekbone and side of head pain which is very uncomfortable sometimes.
But in the last 4 weeks i have been feeling very weak, lightheaded, shaky, aches and pains and generally dont feel good my doctor has found nothing on blood tests and thinks i have anxiety is it possible that my wisdom teeth are causing all these symptoms? in 2 weeks they are being taken out thank god and im wondering if i will feel better after that.
Hope to get a reply back soon, thanks for readin :D

Offline Karl2004

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28/06/2004 16:49:29 »
I have had bad wisdom teeth for almost 9 months now and over the last couple of months the pain has got worse.
One of the wisdom teeth is so far up that it is right on the floor of the sinuse and has been causing me severe uncomfortable pain in the cheekbone and right side of my head.
But over the last 4 weeks ive been getting daily symptoms like constantly tired, aches and pains, shaky, lightheaded, been to see my doctor and he has done blood tests and found nothing therefore nothing pyshically is wrong with me, he thinks im suffering from anxiety.
Do you think the pain of my wisdom teeth have started causing my body all these problems? i mean im having 3 wisdom teeth taken out and 2 other teeth in 2 weeks time thank god, i hope i feel better after that cause i think they may be causing the problem.
Thanks for reading and i hope to get a reply back soon :D

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30/06/2004 14:41:41 »
Hi Karl.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if your wisdom teeth were the root (heh) of your problems.  I had similar issues that lasted until I had my wisdom teeth taken out.  It sucked, it hurt (I had dry sockets a few days after the surgery...not fun) but now that it's healed up, I'm almost completely off my anxiety meds and feel a LOT better.  Mine were impacted quite badly, too.  The top two were growing straight down into the tops of my back upper molars, the bottom left was growing sideways into the nearest molar, and the bottom right was growing sideways out the side of my head.  

It's amazing what that constant pain and pressure in your head can do to your quality of life.  Get 'em yanked out, you'll be a lot happier in the end.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 30/06/2004 14:41:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums