The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Absolute Zero....Is it possible?  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Nobody's Confidant

• Neilep Level Member
  • So loud silence can be.
    • View Profile
Absolute Zero....Is it possible?
« on: 06/09/2007 14:32:35 »
I'm talking zero degrees Kelvin people. Scientists still haven't achieved it...I'm beginning to wonder if it's even possible.

lyner

« Reply #1 on: 06/09/2007 14:42:25 »
Why should it be possible?
It would relate to a region in which there was NO energy.
How would you detect it?
It just gets harder and harder to reduce temperature, the nearer you get to 0K - ok?
It's not something like the sound barrier, or a 100m record, which can always be broken. It's fundamental - like not being able to have  (absolute) negative energy.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #2 on: 06/09/2007 23:50:37 »
Using adiabatic demagnetisation refrigeration techniques temperatures within a few millionths of a degree of absolute zero have been achieved and held in small samples.  This is quite adequate to understand the properties of materials at extremely low temperatures.  It sometimes puzzles me why some people are so obsessed with the potential achievement of absolute physical limits like the velocity of light or absolute zero.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/09/2007 12:37:05 »
Using adiabatic demagnetisation refrigeration techniques temperatures within a few millionths of a degree of absolute zero have been achieved and held in small samples.  This is quite adequate to understand the properties of materials at extremely low temperatures.  It sometimes puzzles me why some people are so obsessed with the potential achievement of absolute physical limits like the velocity of light or absolute zero.
I think it's because you think as an engineer and they think as a mathematician; physicists, usually, stay in between  :)

lyner

« Reply #4 on: 07/09/2007 17:54:33 »
I think it's the 'to boldly go' thing that humans have.
Someone tells them about a limit and they need to conquer it.
The problem is that some limits aren't that sort of limit.

Perhaps people could understand that you can't have less than 'nothing' in a box and that there will always be 'something' in there - just the odd proton would mean there's not nothing.
Cleaning a room can only get it a bit cleaner than it started out. Cleaning it again still leaves it a bit dirty.
« Last Edit: 07/09/2007 17:59:46 by sophiecentaur »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 07/09/2007 17:54:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length