The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: how are aphids born pregnant  (Read 10792 times)

paul.fr

how are aphids born pregnant
« on: 07/09/2007 12:36:00 »
pregnant at birth! how does that happen?

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
« Reply #1 on: 08/09/2007 07:40:51 »
I guess you could think of the unborn offspring as simply another one of the aphid's organs... while the aphid develops inside her mother, her daughter develops inside of her like one of her eyes. Aphids are parthenogenic so they don't require a male, but they do reproduce sexually at certain times. The new-born female already begins asexual reproduction before birth.

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 08/09/2007 07:44:10 »
I guess you could think of the unborn offspring as simply another one of the aphid's organs... while the aphid develops inside her mother, her daughter develops inside of her like one of her eyes. Aphids are parthenogenic so they don't require a male, but they do reproduce sexually at certain times. The new-born female already begins asexual reproduction before birth.

Thank you, Stefan. long time no see.

Post by dkv click to view.

Offline dkv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/09/2007 13:32:53 »
Shrunk
Aphids are less evolved species.. they are close to the origin of life and therefore show mechanical behaviour.
In absence of sexual reproduction it becomes easy to replicate.  So why not prepare for the reproduction from the very begining.
The occasional sexual encounters acts like source of pleasure. Every asexual species shows these behaviours as  the direction of evolution is towards greater pleasure.

Post by _Stefan_ click to view.

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
« Reply #4 on: 16/09/2007 14:26:02 »
Shrunk
dkv your statements are not supported by scientific evidence and associated theory. Evolution is not 'towards a greater pleasure'. Darwinian Evolution is not directed towards any goals at all. It is simply the process by which organisms gradually become better able to survive and reproduce against environmental pressures. Aphids are not 'less evolved'. Organisms evolve in order to survive and reproduce. This occurs through genomic changes and environmental pressures. Aphids have evolved in such a way that they are able to survive and reproduce successfully in the particular environment they live. The terms 'more' or 'less' evolved mean nothing.

Offline dkv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16/09/2007 14:34:55 »
Shrunk
I am able to explain what the Darwanian theory can not explain.
I know that there are differences and I am here to seek support for what is RIGHT.

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
« Reply #6 on: 16/09/2007 14:42:04 »
Shrunk
Such a compelling argument. ::)

Offline dkv

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16/09/2007 14:51:41 »
Shrunk
Darwanian Evolution can not explain the animal sexual play...  The genetials are most sensitive to experience becuase the prupose is pleasure not replication...
Robots do not requires delicate reproductive organs.
IS THIS A COMPELLING ARGUMENT?

Post by kdlynn click to view.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16/09/2007 16:42:49 »
Shrunk
um... no. very few animals have sex for pleasure. i'll go look it up to be sure but i think it's just us and dolphins

Post by kdlynn click to view.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16/09/2007 16:59:06 »
Shrunk
ok, according to wikipedia, what i have heard is a commonly accepted myth. it has not been proven, however scientists do not know for sure which other species do have sex for pleasure. i'll get the link here later today.

Offline dkv

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16/09/2007 17:05:33 »
Shrunk
The experience of pleasure or the pleasure signal may vary. Closer we reach to the origin more it appears like replication mechanism. Just like in the Qunatum mechanics where the electrons ,protons behaviour tend towards the  classical behaviour at macro level.

For example under the Happiness family of emotions we have different intensities of same emotions :
Joy , amusement , Fun ,Feiro , Satisfaction , relief, contentment ,pleasure etc ..all these words refer to different manifestation of same emotion ..Happiness . The signal is same but the strenght is different.
Just a person has not experienced one of the above emotions doesnt mean it doesnt exist ...

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
« Reply #11 on: 16/09/2007 23:26:53 »
Shrunk
Read up on some biology. Very few organisms actually feel pleasure. Emotions occur in organisms AFTER a long period of evolution. Things like genital sensitivity present no problem to evolution. Do some research and find some evidence that supports YOUR argument before you dismiss Darwinian evolution.

Post by another_someone click to view.

another_someone

« Reply #12 on: 17/09/2007 03:23:23 »
Shrunk
um... no. very few animals have sex for pleasure. i'll go look it up to be sure but i think it's just us and dolphins

Bonobo chimps certainly have a reputation for it.  I think I remember something about porcupines also.

Offline dkv

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17/09/2007 08:02:32 »
Shrunk
Read up on some biology. Very few organisms actually feel pleasure. Emotions occur in organisms AFTER a long period of evolution. Things like genital sensitivity present no problem to evolution. Do some research and find some evidence that supports YOUR argument before you dismiss Darwinian evolution.
TSP is a new hypothesis which needs to tested.
Therfore we can not expect much answers from old text books.
Generally Animals fight for sex and its the pain in the defeated one which ends the battle.-----It is not something unknown to science.
Some organism which are known to  feel pleasure(in each of the cases you can verify yourself by touching their genetials):
Monkeys(they even try inter species sex)
Chimpanzees
Gorialls
Octopus
Bull
Dogs
Millipede( very long copulation period)
Spiders(takes a risk to its own life for the experience of pleasure)
Crocodiles (the sexual play is very delicate...pleasure enhancing)
Humans believe in something called LOVE(this foreplay enhances pleasure)

The hypothesis says all animals and plants atleast experience pleasure but with different level of experience.

Simple truths are most difficult ones.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 17/09/2007 08:02:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums