Is higher education outdated in the age of the Internet?

• 11 Replies

Offline the5thforce

• Game theorist, pantheist, the5thforce.tumblr.com
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
If we already have access to all the knowledge humans have ever bothered recording right on our smartphones.. and were all already online dating, we should probably come to terms with public/higher education being inefficient for much beyond experimental research/recreational competition and should work to merge most other social organization with mass communication, importantly our political process now that we have the ability to create a true global democracy which can easily be streamlined with social media

If were expecting the population to continue growing we should get started with settling issues like land allocation for affordable new human development
« Last Edit: 15/03/2017 17:37:02 by chris »

Online evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Internet enables free education
« Reply #1 on: 10/03/2017 10:23:22 »
higher education being inefficient
A number of institutions have experimented with a MOOC: a Massive Open Online Course.
  • They have tried offering courses with low or no fees
  • They have attracted thousands of students to start a course
  • Watching a video of a lecture scales quite well, but it has proven more difficult to scale things like the ability to ask questions of the lecturer, run tutorials or mark assignments.
  • The number of people completing a course is far lower than the number who start it - but maybe if you don't invest much, you won't value it so highly?
Or maybe this is a different style of learning - people just want to get a feel for the subject, and drop out when they have enough.
I like the model of the Khan academy, where there are short classes in many subjects, and you can just pick a topic that interests you or has you stumped at the moment.

we have the ability to create a true global democracy which can easily be streamlined with social media
Social media has been involved in political upheavals in a number of countries (eg Egypt). You can tell when it is gathering momentum because a dictatorial government will shut down the internet.

Obama used social media to gain support from a larger base than previous political campaigns.
Trump seems to be promulgating government policy via twitter. But it is a fairly shallow policy that fits into 140 characters.

Voting via smartphone seems attractive, but it will need to be quite secure - I imagine that many groups would offer to decide an online poll in favor of the highest bidder.
  • I am not sure how engaged the public would be when the USA has trouble getting over 60% voter turnout for elections.
  • I am also concerned that most voters would just vote for topics that interest them. I think they will be unwilling to invest the effort to make sensible tradeoffs of existing policies against the cost of a new batch of policies.

Offline the5thforce

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Internet enables free education
« Reply #2 on: 15/03/2017 17:31:57 »
I believe the only industries humans will have in the near future will be:

Food(farming, restuarant)

Shelter(material mining, construction, housekeeping)

Healthcare(assistant, nursing, surgeon)

Manufacturing(design, assembly)

Entertainment(performance, sport, gaming, recreation, art)

-

Teaching will be replaced by the internet, recreational socialization will become the focus of brick and morter school

Tech design will be replaced by personalized customization, programming will be replaced by native languages

Practical science is close to solved and will be replaced by simulation assisted engineering

Repair is being replaced by increasingly affordable upgrades

Business and politics including marketing will be replaced by mass media/mass communication

Delivery/transportation will be automated though I believe recreational driving/off roading will become even more popular

-

Humans are approaching a point of universal understanding of our world where energy efficient engineering is becoming our only obstacle, tech has caused white collar/button pushing jobs to become easier than blue collar jobs which are inherently the last to be fully automated energy efficiently so we need to ensure were paying livable wages for the basic labor that has been equalized by tech with what were once high skilled white collar jobs

Lastly I believe churches will adapt by continuing to move towards a pantheistic approach like unitarian universalism
« Last Edit: 15/03/2017 18:06:08 by the5thforce »

Offline puppypower

• View Profile
Re: Is higher education outdated in the age of the Internet?
« Reply #3 on: 19/03/2017 12:09:11 »
Internet schooling takes more personal responsibility and willpower that regular schooling. This is why many people will start courses, but few have the willpower needed for sustain their effort to the end. In brick and mortar schools, the teacher becomes the surrogate for willpower, encouraging the students to march to the end. To get free internet education to work, you will need to get students back to the old fashion values of hard work, self reliance and long term vision. This allows effort without the need for extra surrogates for willpower.

If you are living in the moment, self education over the internet, will not be sustainable, unless it feeds you like junk food. With junk food, you can stay in the moment of enjoyment, constantly; chips and M&M's. That is Face Book and Twitter. People who faithfully surf the net, but who are short term thinkers, prefer snack food education.

True education is not junk food, but is more like having to eat peas and squash. This is not a good snack food, most people will eat all the time and overindulge. You need willpower, based on a long term vision, like good health. A long term and continuing goal, can get you past the needs of little immediate gratification. Brick and Mortar Schools, helps the studies remain in the future, so they can live on peas.

« Last Edit: 19/03/2017 12:16:04 by puppypower »

Online Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/03/2017 13:09:12 »
Practical science is close to solved
I have heard that before.
Please disregard all previous signatures.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/03/2017 15:50:26 »
Internet teaching is wonderful because it doesn't teach skepticism, debate, or observation. It's the best way to turn humans into consumers and obedient taxpayers. Or terrorists.Indeed anything but rational beings capable of thinking for themselves.
helping to stem the tide of ignorance

Offline the5thforce

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: 19/03/2017 19:02:08 »
People really only need to learn english, politics, economics, nutrition, physiology, and physical education, all the rest are unnecessary in todays society or can easily be learned online, even programming
« Last Edit: 20/03/2017 00:32:52 by the5thforce »

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20/03/2017 08:52:41 »
People really only need to learn english, politics, economics, nutrition, physiology, and physical education, all the rest are unnecessary in todays society or can easily be learned online, even programming
I have taken part in a number of MOOCs and although quality is variable I can see that with proper design they can be very good. However, I do not think they will replace schools because the the way modern schooling works is very different, there is a strong emphasis on discovery rather than just push education.
Example. We had a forward looking english teacher, rather than all talk and chalk he would suggest we split into groups, picks topic and explain it to the class. My friends were selected, not on their ability to kick a ball, but on their ability to come up with interesting ideas and to discuss science, so while some groups decided to explain the offside rule we decided to explain how an aircraft works. When we came to control we knew it had a joystick and rudder bar, but not how connected. In drawing it out there was the sudden realisation that in order to work the control lines have to cross over. This might seem a trivial discovery, but at 8 it is big and I still remember it today - tell me that or show online it's unlikely I would have remembered.
Yes online teaching does have a role and it's use will grow, but much of modern school teaching is designed to encourage thinking, problem solving , discovery and I think that is why it ought to continue in face to face groups - although some politicians feel differently and want to return to rote learning.
and the misguided shall lead the gullible,
the feebleminded have inherited the earth.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20/03/2017 09:57:23 »
The most important stuff I learned at school, apart from maths (followed up later by a superb Open University degree course - it is a subject that can be taught remotely) and experimental sciences (the OU does its best with kitchen table experiments but still needs summer schools  for supervised hands-on work), was how to speak French in live conversation (Berlitz CDs are OK but a bit stilted), how to play cricket and rugby, basic woodwork and metalwork, swimming, lifesaving and first aid.  Not sure how you could transfer these vital skills through a screen. 

Flight sims are great! You can walk away from every crash (the last scene of "Sully" is recommended)! Which is why the authorities require actual airtime before granting a licence.
helping to stem the tide of ignorance

Offline tkadm30

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #9 on: 22/03/2017 11:35:39 »
Higher education is expensive, while Internet access is cheap. However, it seems quite difficult to learn basic sciences strictly from the Internet. In contrast, many peer-reviewed scientific journals are not open access, which is limiting accessibility. Free education is in my opinion the only way to use the Internet as an extension to conventional teaching.
The bliss of ignorance is deeper in the region of tyranny.

Offline the5thforce

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: 22/03/2017 19:17:27 »
Based on what I enjoyed and found useful id design primary and secondary public school in 2017 to involve one physical education class for 2-3 hours incorporating exercise strength training physics biology physiology nutrition sports recreation and even survivalist projects both outdoors and indoors, then an open ended collaborative research class moderated by teacher(s) where the students decide the direction of daily research using technology driven purely by curiosity for 2-3 hours, and one intellectual elective involving experts/teachers giving lectures and answering questions for the last 2-3 hours

1 Body-education class
1 Self-education class
1 Teacher-education class

Homework should be easy enough to enjoy but hard enough to encourage socializing outside of school, my favorite classes were physical education, physics, foreign languages, and art
« Last Edit: 22/03/2017 19:21:49 by the5thforce »

Offline the5thforce

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: Today at 17:13:47 »
Since fulltime minimum wage is the middle class now and all below that are the poor we should raise minimum wage to optimally align with where we think the middle class should be then provide the difference to the poor until they attain fulltime minimum wage, id say 15-20usd per hour is the minimum for a single person, 20-30usd for a parent and we need to encourage those above minimum wage to always spend any money they earn above the minimum in order to accelerate the economy and technology towards energy sufficiency since we understand how nuclear fusion works now we should make oil as cheap as possible and use it to build more fission and fusion reactors along with solar wind water