Naked Science Forum

Life Sciences => Physiology & Medicine => Topic started by: KBell on 11/09/2008 08:28:21

Title: Kicked in the head by a horse
Post by: KBell on 11/09/2008 08:28:21

Two years ago I was kicked in the front part of my head by a horse, left side eye area. Since then I have been suffereing hideous migraines, memory loss, thinking is hard sometimes, I mix up words or can never find the right one to use, emotional changes, neck and back pain. X rays and CT scans have not shown up anything obvious. Migraines can come on at anytime, in the middle of the night or day can last for a few hours up to days, come with flashes of light, distorted vision, nausea, vomitting, my face tingles, my legs and feet can go numb at any time, not just during a migraine. I feel drained and exhausted after an "attack". I haven't been able to work in ten months due to having migraines 3 - 4 times a week.

Interested to know if anyone else has had a similiar experience, some doctors have said that the kick and migraines are conincidental. Before the injury I had never had a migraine.
Title: Kicked in the head by a horse
Post by: Evie on 11/09/2008 17:21:13

Have you seen several doctors, or more specifically, several neurologists? This is probably something you have done, but a specialist is the only way; don't waste time with general practitioners. If you live in a rural area or small town, consider going to a big city. You want to get to a doctor who has had the most opportunity to see people with similar problems.

Frankly, whoever told you that the head injury is unrelated sounds like an idiot, since your symptoms seem to fit the mold for head injuries exactly. Here's a link (which you may or may not find at all helpful):

Note the Brain Injury Association of America ( hotline near the bottom of that webpage. Don't know if you're in the US or not, but they could guide you in the right direction.
Title: Kicked in the head by a horse
Post by: RD on 11/09/2008 18:25:54
I mix up words or can never find the right one to use
The medical term for this is expressive dysphasia. (

emotional changes
Possibly emotional lability (

As Evie has said your symptoms are entirely consistent with brain injuries and you should see a neurologist.

You should have comprehensive psychometric testing to determine the exact extent of any cognitive dysfunction.
(This testing should not just consist of being asked "What is the date ?", "Who is the president / prime minster ?").

An MRI scan ( may reveal brain damage that would not appear on your previous CT scans as a MRI scan has superior resolution (a more detailed picture).

If nothing else a comprehensive neurological examination should enable you to obtain appropriate welfare benefits.

Take a family member or friend with you when you go to see the specialist, (e.g. spouse). They will be able to give the doctor information about how you were before the incident and how you are now. They may also be of use in reminding you of important points to bring up during the consultation, (as you have said your memory is faulty).