On the Lighter Side > Complementary Medicine

Are there health benefits to drinking tea?

(1/8) > >>

Tronix:
I heard tea is supposed to be healthy, but im wondering how its healthy exactly. Refering to normal store bought tea (like Lipton for example) with no sugar or any weird flavoring added, served iced, what if any are the health benefits? Thanks in advance for your responses

--------------------------------------------
"If i cannot have company whose minds are clearly free, I would prefer to go alone."                  -Dr. Gideon Lincecum

The BPRD rejected my application becuase their brain-controled by Cthulhu Rip-offs. And im sure "Sparky" is sleeping with them too, kinky little firecracker she is...

Contrarienne:
from newbielink:http://www.cookscorner.net/Tea/Antioxidants.html [nonactive]

Antioxidants In Tea

A growing body of research indicates that the tannins in tea are naturally-occurring flavonoids which have strong antioxidant properties. Drinking tea is a natural and pleasant way to increase dietary intake of antioxidants. There is mounting evidence that suggests that antioxidant-rich foods may play a role in reducing the risk of certain cancers, heart disease and stroke.

Researchers indicated that black and green tea have comparable health benefits and that adding milk to tea, does not inhibit the body's ability to benefit from the antioxidants in brewed tea.

About three times as many antioxidant polyphenois is found in white tea then green tea. White tea is simply dried in natural sunlight, "this preserves more of its antioxidant properties"
Drinking white tea besides being more beneficial is that the pale amber liquid is a lot more palatable than green tea and doesn't have the same cabbagy smell.

Recent research exploring the potential health attributes of tea is leading many scientists to agree that tea, both black and green, may contribute positively to a healthy lifestyle. "Fruits, vegetables, and tea all contain important antioxidants. Research suggests these phytonutrients may contribute substantially to the promotion of health and the prevention of chronic disease. For example, recent research studies reveal the antioxidants in tea may inhibit the growth of cancer cells and support cardiovascular health," stated Jeffrey Blumberg, Ph.D., F.A.C.N, Chief of the Antioxidants Research Laboratory at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University.

I recently heard on the news that coffee has this benefit as well, but sometimes I think they're just telling us what we want to hear  ;)

I drink lots of coffee, but recently switched to tea midday, as I have a friend who is quite the tea drinker and believes that it's healthier.  The two I've tried are Twinings English Breakfast and Tetley British Blend, and I like the taste of the Twinings better.  I'm drinking it for the caffeine content, as a coffee substitute, and have previously used herb teas mostly for medicinal purposes.

~Au Contrarienne~

SammySchwartz:
Tea can be also good for our health.We can take a tea so that the whole day of your life is good.

Ann Trenton:
I'm a tea addict. I could never get through an entire day without a cup of freshly-brewed loose green tea. The smell alone is enough to make my mouth water and the delicious sensation of fresh hot tea sliding down my throat is something that I always take time to relish during my tea break. Green tea has tons of health benefits and is a great source of antioxidants. Some of the best green tea can be found at SPAMMYteas.com. Cheers!

Oh, and you are banned. Cheers! (MOD)

echochartruse:
Tea like most things, if you have too much it is not good.
Green tea may reduce risk of some cancers, black tea may help fight diabetes amoung many other So many benefits but now they think too much can increase the risk of Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Depending on other herbs or medications you take and how they react to tea will have some type of outcome also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.

[0] Board index