« on: Yesterday at 11:47:41 »
Quote from: Petrochemicals
are ebola survivors not immune?Ebola is quite a vicious virus, killing about half of those infected.
- If you don't overcome the virus, it kills quite rapidly
- So it becomes a race between your immune system generating effective antibodies - or the virus killing you first
- Like COVID, Ebola has genes that inhibit the body's innate immune system, allowing it to take over more quickly
- Ebola directly attacks macrophages (white blood cells), which form part of the immune system
- Before a vaccine was available, they used recovered patients to nurse the sick - they didn't need such fancy protective equipment
- They also tried antibody transfusions from recovered patients, to keep the virus under control until the patient could generate their own antibodies.
These days, ring vaccination is used on anyone who may have come into contact with an ebola patient.
- This is difficult to administer, since there is an ongoing uncivil war in the area...