« on: Yesterday at 23:21:40 »
Quote from: OP
Does an average divided by the total make sense?I have seen an application for the inverse: Total/Average.
I observed in a factory (many years ago) a worker counting out tiny items (small screws, maybe?).
- They counted out exactly 100 items, and weighed that, to get an average mass.
- The scale stored the average mass
- Then, if a particular production run needed exactly 1,234 of these items, the worker poured roughly the right volume onto the scale
- The scale measured the total mass, then divided by the average mass, displaying the exact quantity of items on the scale
- The operator could then add or remove a couple to give exactly the right quantity.
I am sure this would be all totally automated, these days...