Perhaps 10% of people with COVID infection get "Long COVID", a post-viral syndrome affecting many normal functions
- Many of the symptoms include loss of memory, fuzzy thinking, etc
- This may be an auto-immune problem, or maybe a disruption of the autonomic nervous system?
- Symptoms sometimes last for months - there are now cases that have persisted for a year
- A study suggests that only 40% recover after 3 months of intensive rehabilitation.
- This has resulted in loss of work in many cases.
- Many doctors see this as a psychosomatic problem.
Anecdotes that long-haul COVID symptoms that dissipated after COVID vaccination suggests that perhaps the immune system may be involved.
Listen (37 minutes); https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/covid-long-haulers/
Are there any studies which shed light on this?