« on: Yesterday at 10:37:41 »
Quote from: Europa
What does it cost to make a bitcoin?At present, it takes about 1500kWh to commit a block to the blockchain, or about $US200 (depending on your local electricity price).
- Of course, you also need some powerful computer hardware, too, which will add to the cost - maybe $US500 per "win".
- One new block is added about every 10 minutes
At present, you get 12.5 bitcoins for committing a block, so it might cost you perhaps $50 per bitcoin (if you have the latest hardware and cheap electricity)
- If you are using a PC, it will cost far more than that
- But the more bitcoins in circulation, the fewer are paid out to winners.
- Bitcoin is designed with a maximum number of bitcoins that can be "mined" (some of which have been lost, because people threw their old computer out, or forgot their password...)