Naked Science Forum

Life Sciences => Physiology & Medicine => Topic started by: sprite190582 on 16/07/2004 10:57:44

Title: What are they testing for?
Post by: sprite190582 on 16/07/2004 10:57:44
My doctor has asked me to go for a blood test.
On the form she has requested, under Haematology FBC and ESR. Under Immunology she has written CRP please and under Biochemistry she has written CK or C/K (can't make out the writing) please.
What are these tests looking at? Any information would be most appreciated.

Title: Re: What are they testing for?
Post by: DrN on 16/07/2004 11:53:39
CRP is C Reactive Protein test, which tests for inflammation. C Reactive Protein is produced by the liver in response to inflammation.

FBC is full blood count and ESR is erythrocyte sedimentation rate.FBC provides a full profile including of white blood cells, haemoglobin and platelets. ESR measure that rate that red cells fall through the plasma, and is a non specific test for the severity of a disease.

I'm pretty sure that CK is Creatine Kinase. This is a breakdown product of creatine phosphate in muscle, and is produced fairly constantly. people with more muscle have more CK in the serum. its processed by the kidneys and so is often used as a renal function test.

perhaps a medic will be able to give a more thorough answer as to what your doctor might be looking for.