Naked Science Forum

Life Sciences => Physiology & Medicine => Topic started by: katieHaylor on 08/08/2018 17:49:59

Title: Could an arachnoid cyst cause mental health problems?
Post by: katieHaylor on 08/08/2018 17:49:59
Keith asks:

Is there a link between an arachnoid cyst in the brain and mental heath, as well as cognitive ability being impaired?

Can you help?
Title: Re: Could an arachnoid cyst cause mental health problems?
Post by: tkadm30 on 08/08/2018 18:41:02
i'm not even sure what is an arachnoid cyst so I can't say...  :)

Title: Re: Could an arachnoid cyst cause mental health problems?
Post by: Nika2003 on 08/08/2018 21:27:40
Hey. ;) My dad had such a problem. I read a lot about her and can give advice.
I know that most of the arachnoid cysts are congenital (at birth), they usually do not cause any symptoms throughout the life of a person. The development of symptoms depends on the size and specific location of the cyst in the brain. Small cysts usually do not cause symptoms, and most of them remain constant in size. However, some of them increase in size and eventually cause the appearance of symptoms, especially if they click on the cranial nerve, brain or spinal cord.
If the cyst exerts an increased pressure on brain structures, neurological symptoms may develop. These symptoms can include developmental delays, behavioral changes, inability to control voluntary movements (ataxia), difficulty with balance, walking and cognitive impairment. I have also heard of weakness or paralysis from one side of the body (hemiparesis). Symptoms are often eliminated or improved in treatment, but if left untreated, the progressive growth of the arachnoid cyst can eventually cause permanent severe neurological damage.
If you need medical advice, you can contact the doctors or other health professionals who have experience with this disease. You can find these specialists through advocacy organizations, clinical trials or articles published in medical journals. You can also go to a university or a tertiary health center in your area because these centers tend to see more complicated cases and have the latest technology and treatments.
If you can not find a specialist in your field, try contacting national or international specialists. They can refer you to someone they know, through conferences or research. Some specialists may be willing to consult with you or your local doctors by phone or e-mail, if you can not go to them for medical help
All the best to you. :)