What happens to mould once it's consumed its food source?

  • 5 Replies
  • 9985 Views

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

*

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • 20602
    • View Profile
Hi ya,

see this mouldy orange ?

[attachment=1168]

Not nice eh ?


Once the mould has ' consumed ' the orange...what happens to it ?

does it just die ?

« Last Edit: 28/01/2008 04:58:38 by JimBob »
Men are the same as women, just inside out !

*

Offline Karen W.

  • Moderator
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *****
  • 31660
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: What happens to mould once it's consumed its food source?
« Reply #1 on: 04/10/2007 18:01:11 »
The fruit inside turns to alcohol! as the orange is already decomposing. But if it continues to be left the moisture then evaporates and the fruit begins to harden before it decomposes all the way and becomes like a rock. I do not know if they further break down after that point but I once found an orange hidden in my daughters closet in a box.. LOL She saved it with a piece of bread with mustard on it she ordered in the hospital when they removed her appendix!

She kept it for a keep sake.. Long story.. anyway the orange was several years old when I saw it in the box. It was crazy.. so from there i do not know .. it still exists in its rock like state! LOL At her house!  shriveled hard and totally brown!

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

*

Offline JimBob

  • Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • *****
  • 6564
  • Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What happens to mould once it's consumed its food source?
« Reply #2 on: 05/10/2007 05:00:58 »
I would guess that the mould grows, disperses spores and eventually when all its food is gone, it dies. That is what happens but what ahappens is another story.

Hope your feeling better Eth.
The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

*

Offline chris

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • 5391
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
What happens to mould once it's consumed its food source?
« Reply #3 on: 09/10/2007 08:51:57 »
Moulds are filamentous fungi that spread by spores and help to break down dead and decaying matter. In the environment they play a crucial role in nutrient recycling. Surfaces and food sources are colonised when spores land on the surface and germinate. The organism extends thin thread-like tubes into the material and uses them as straws to absorb nutrients.produced by breaking down the foodstuff. The mould then begins to sporulate - produce fruiting bodies - which emerge on tiny stalks and drift off into the air.

Consequently we are perpetually surrounded by moulds and fungi, but our lung and gut defenses keep them at bay. Some people are vulnerable, however, transplant and immunosuppressed patients in particular.

Chris
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception - Groucho Marx

*

Offline rosalind dna

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • 2019
    • View Profile
What happens to mould once it's consumed its food source?
« Reply #4 on: 25/01/2008 12:45:09 »
As it is possible to consume Blue Cheeses such as Stilton, Daneblu (sp) and others.
HOw come I can eat these cheeses without getting poisoned which as Neil's picture of the mouldy orange and not get food poisoning, I do eat blue cheeses as I like them loads.

wiki google pic,

Rosalind Franklin was my first cousin and one my life's main regrets is that I never met this brilliant and beautiful lady.
She discovered the Single DNA Helix in 1953, then it was taken by Wilkins without her knowledge or agreeement.

*

Offline Soul Surfer

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • 3345
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
What happens to mould once it's consumed its food source?
« Reply #5 on: 26/01/2008 18:52:36 »
Most moulds are OK  you could probably eat the mouldy orange without coming to harm.  in fact you probably eat lots of tiny mouldy bits in food that you eat You just dont see them.  The bacteria that cause food poisoning are very different.  Please note some moulds ARE poisionus.  A notable one is ergot that can infect grain and cause all sorts of nasty things.
Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!