• 6 Replies

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Why can't I see anything?!
« on: 05/12/2007 18:35:23 »
OK I lied I can still see, but I just came in from outside with all the snow and the cold and my eyes are like not letting me see anything? Why is that?

Offline stana

• Dare to be yourself!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05/12/2007 18:41:14 »
Your eyes have got used to the whiteness and the glare of th snow, and when you come inside its much darker? hence your unable to see for a short while. The same thing happens when you have a light on in your bedroom. You turn off the light annd get into bed, after a short while you will be able to see things you couldnt of seen when you first switched the light off!

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: 05/12/2007 19:03:20 »
Ah that's what I was thinking. So If i ate a bunch of carrots it wouldn't make it so extreme? lol.

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #3 on: 05/12/2007 23:16:13 »
OK I lied I can still see, but I just came in from outside with all the snow and the cold and my eyes are like not letting me see anything? Why is that?

Two things happen:
 - firstly the pupil of your eye closes in bright light (like the iris/aperture control on a camera) and takes a while to open up again when you go somewhere dark
 - secondly the photo-receptors in the retina can become saturated and bleached by all that bright white light, and take a while to recover normal sensitivity.

Think of a nice warm summer day; you lay out in the sun on your back and close your eyes. To start with you see a strong red through your eyelids, but over a minute or so the red becomes slightly weaker. Now open your eyes and look around and the whole garden looks bluey-green because the red-receptors in your eye got temporarily desensitised by all that red light when your eyes were closed and the sun shone on your eyelids.
"It has been said that the primary function of schools is to impart enough facts to make children stop asking questions. Some, with whom the schools do not succeed, become scientists." - Schmidt-Nielsen "Memoirs of a curious scientist"

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: 06/12/2007 01:59:43 »
AH well how come if I just lay there and rub my eyes for aw hile and just squint really hard and sometiems not even squint it um has this yellow circle type thing?

Offline stana

• Dare to be yourself!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06/12/2007 16:26:29 »
thats because your damaging the nerve endings and stuff in your eyes, I used to push my fingers into my eyes, and i seen like..a visualisation like on game consoles! I can still do it, and once i let go, the visison just slowly fades from my eyes.

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: 06/12/2007 23:22:09 »
Ah I see! Sometimes it looks like oh what the best thing to describe it. Um windows media player vizulations on random!