How can One make electronic or computer generated ceiling tiles like this?

• 4 Replies

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

OK... Is that not lovely or what... Next best thing to being out under the stars....!!!

This is what I want above my head when I try to go to sleep. I have a lot of sleep problems as many of us do. The thing is when I am outside under the stars I can sleep like there is no tomorrow... but when I come in the house sleep is very very difficult without me being highly medicated .. which lately has been a must in order for me to rest and try to get well.

Tell me how I can replicate this lovely computerized image across my ceiling at night so I can sleep under the comfort of the stars???? Is it possible to make ceiling tiles which are one continuous band of twinkling goodness over my head????

How Please???

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
You either need lots of tiny lightbulbs -- which is what they use for theatrical backdrops, or a video projector (which would be rather inefficient and overkill for this application - as well as probably being noisy and the black being visible grey).

Look in lighting or theatrical retailers - they should have lights on a mesh of wires with some kind of "twinkling" controller...  if you had a false ceiling (like in offices) it'd be relatively easy to hide the wires, otherwise it'll be rather messy-looking by day!

I suppose the other approach is to stick lots of small "glow in the dark" stars on the ceiling (near-white and virtually invisible by day), which glow greeny in the dark. From a normal light they will only glow quite weakly, but if you illuminate them briefly with a UV "blacklight" lamp they'll glow nicely and then fade over 15 minutes or so. They won't "twinkle" though.

Hope the ideas are useful.
« Last Edit: 03/01/2008 17:32:25 by techmind »
"It has been said that the primary function of schools is to impart enough facts to make children stop asking questions. Some, with whom the schools do not succeed, become scientists." - Schmidt-Nielsen "Memoirs of a curious scientist"

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thank you Techmind. I was thinking more or less like a very large computer screen in my room that covers and entire ceiling with these twinkling lights.

I am sure that would be unhealthy also..LOL

If those tiny lights could render this lovely picture then yes that would be cool.. I mean just like the pictures.. twinkling and all...

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
You could buy a projetor TV conected up  to a DVD. you could then probably copy a image like that on to a dvd disc and run it all night.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Do you think it would duplicate the image and the twinkling as clearly as that!???