Oh man that's a freaking great pen! What makes it a good pen over the others?

• 67 Replies

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
Ohh.. but if I wet the tip of my pencil and try writing on paper, it doesn't work!
They say that when you die, your life flashes in front of you. Make it worth watching!

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
Scuba divers write on a hard board of plastic.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Ohh.. Why?
They say that when you die, your life flashes in front of you. Make it worth watching!

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
because you can't write on paper underwater :)

or do you mean 'what for?"

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Ohh I thought you write on like submarines or something.

Yup then, why do you write under there?
To get dimensions of what you need?

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
IOt depends on why you are diving. Researchers may need to draw a picture or jot down some notes of whatever they are researching, or they can be used for communication outside the realms of the normal hand signals that are used in most diving situations)

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Doesn't pencil rub off underwater?

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
it can do, but you can be careful and keep it as well.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Oh okay. [;D]

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Bics are nice, but half the time they don't wanna work for me. and i hate when they like have a big splot of ink out on the paper.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
I did have a nice 18k gold Cross pen which got stolen and now I just use a cheap Biro.

All that talk of pens and cost reminded me of this old news.

In the U.S. in the 1960s, NASA decided it needed a ball point pen to write in the zero gravity of its space capsules. After lots of  research and development, the Astronaut Pen was developed at a cost of approximately $1 million.

The Soviet Union.. used a pencil. [;D]

Its since been found out that an ordinary Biro works just as well in zero gravity.

Sorry for that useless information!

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Nahh it taught me something.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Mont Blancs? [;D]
My dad has one [:o] Are they nice?

They are Magnificent! - I have the roller ball. My favorite fountain pen (even though I now have a Mont Blanc fountain pen) is the Pelikan 250. Although well less than the Mont Blanc, they have the most perfect balance (as is the Mont Blanc roller-ball) of those I have tried and make writing totally effortless. It makes a huge difference in the readability of my writing.

« Last Edit: 29/03/2008 22:30:53 by JimBob »
The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
What makes the good pen a better pen? I know it writes better, it feels better in your hands, its just plain amazing.

What makes it be better? What makes the other pens be worse? Cuz ain't a pen a pen. Its got ink in a plastic tube thingy and a tip the ink comes out of. Why's it better?

Thanks Sim  [:)]

Perhaps why its better is due to the flow adjustment and ink consistency and perhaps one delivery system is better then others.. perhaps the tip shape or size of the roller ball or something!

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Here is a picture of my 75.00 pen The green one!

What make is this?

I believe its the Waterman Pen Roller ball.. They can sell from $75 .00 US up to $93.00 US or so.. depending on where you find it!
« Last Edit: 29/03/2008 23:17:51 by Karen W. »

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Mont Blancs? [;D]

They are Magnificent! - I have the roller ball. My favorite fountain pen (even though I now have a Mont Blanc fountain pen) is the Pelikan 250. Although well less than the Mont Blanc, they have the most perfect balance (as is the Mont Blanc roller-ball) of those I have tried and make writing totally effortless. It makes a huge difference in the readability of my writing.

How much was the pelikan?? I like good fountain pens [;D]

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
Bics are nice, but half the time they don't wanna work for me. and i hate when they like have a big splot of ink out on the paper.

That's why I use 'fine point' although they can 'freeze up' in cooler weather.. but that's rarely a problem in my part of the world.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Mont Blancs? [;D]

How much was the pelikan?? I like good fountain pens [;D]

It can be found as inexpensively as $95 on the web here. These are not really good values. I also like to have the nibs reworked to ad flexibility to them so the do not get out of line very easily.

See this http://www.nibs.com/mainpage.html. It is in San Francisco, California and I believe their tempering of the gold and titanium nibs for extra flexibility is well worth the price. A friend of mine who is a professional calligrapher recommended this company to me quite a while back. She uses this company a lot and believes the 2r0 series is the best calligraphy pen she can get her hands on - I think she is correct. They are listed in the Souverän Series on this site.
The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein