Was Polystyrene a mistake or made by design ?

• 7 Replies

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« on: 02/04/2008 18:06:32 »
Dear Plasticologists ?

See this box of fun ?

[attachment=2624]

Don't ewe just wannna jump in and play ?

Polystyrene is my all time favourite light weight packaging type protector plastic type thing !! (erhhm..it is a plastic yes ?)

It's such an unusual texture and makes a great flotation device too !...even better than me when I've had my annual bath and sheep dip shampoo !

Was Polystyrene invented by design ?.......did someone say " We need a light weight plastic thing that is great for all kind of things...." and did they then invent it...or was it  (like my youngest two brats)....an accident ?

I just don't know....do ewe ?....but I'd like to know !!

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 02/04/2008 18:54:36 »
I don't know but it is quite squishable proof and certainly works well as a protective cushion in most cases!

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/04/2008 20:53:46 »
They look like white wotsits!!!

I'm sure you know what wotsits are.. If you don't..

They say that when you die, your life flashes in front of you. Make it worth watching!

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/04/2008 17:59:50 »
Ummmm Cheesity!

I don't know about polystyrene but potty putty was an accident. They were trying to make fake rubber and got that lovely farty stuff instead. I'll find out.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/04/2008 18:14:12 »
Ray McIntire invented Styrofoam for the Dow Chemical Co.. McIntire said his invention of foamed polystyrene was accidental. His invention came as he was trying to find a flexible electrical insulator around the time of World War II. Polystyrene, which already had been invented, was a good insulator but too brittle. McIntire tried to make a new rubber-like polymer by combining styrene with isobutylene, a volatile liquid, under pressure. The result was a foam polystyrene with bubble, 30 times lighter than regular polystyrene. source The Detroit News

Found it!
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/04/2008 21:00:55 »
Ummmm Cheesity!

I don't know about polystyrene but potty putty was an accident. They were trying to make fake rubber and got that lovely farty stuff instead. I'll find out.

LOL LOL.. I love them.. You take it out and put it back in. And.. *FAAARRTT*
They say that when you die, your life flashes in front of you. Make it worth watching!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/04/2008 21:08:24 »
Ray McIntire invented Styrofoam for the Dow Chemical Co.. McIntire said his invention of foamed polystyrene was accidental. His invention came as he was trying to find a flexible electrical insulator around the time of World War II. Polystyrene, which already had been invented, was a good insulator but too brittle. McIntire tried to make a new rubber-like polymer by combining styrene with isobutylene, a volatile liquid, under pressure. The result was a foam polystyrene with bubble, 30 times lighter than regular polystyrene. source The Detroit News

Found it!

Now here's a prime example of this site at work !!

....and it's a girly too !! [:o]

THANK YOU Make It lady !!
Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/04/2008 21:24:10 »
Now Neil..
What is so surprising about the fact that it was a girl?? [???] [:P]