B.O.I.N.C

• 5 Replies

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
B.O.I.N.C
« on: 05/04/2008 07:19:30 »
A project to recruit volunteer's to donate spare computer time for various scientific calculations.
Do you contribute?, let us have your experiences
« Last Edit: 05/04/2008 17:50:16 by syhprum »
syhprum

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
B.O.I.N.C
« Reply #1 on: 08/04/2008 07:37:08 »
I participate in Folding At Home, the Stamford University project concerning protein folding.

I haven't got any experiences to relate as it runs quietly in background with low priority.
Fledgling science site at http://www.sciencefile.org/SF/content/view/54/98/ needs members and original articles. If you can help, please join.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
B.O.I.N.C
« Reply #2 on: 08/04/2008 08:27:01 »
I find that Einstein runs perfecly with XP32 despite only 1 Gb memory but it refuses to attach to any server using XP64 (evaluation) and although I would like to test it with Ubunto I lack the Linux skills to set it up
syhprum

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
B.O.I.N.C
« Reply #3 on: 08/04/2008 10:18:20 »
I find that Einstein runs perfecly with XP32 despite only 1 Gb memory but it refuses to attach to any server using XP64 (evaluation) and although I would like to test it with Ubunto I lack the Linux skills to set it up

George (another-someone) may be able to help you with Ubuntu. He's pretty good with Linux.
Fledgling science site at http://www.sciencefile.org/SF/content/view/54/98/ needs members and original articles. If you can help, please join.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
B.O.I.N.C
« Reply #4 on: 09/04/2008 14:44:55 »
After a lot of trial and error I succeeded in setting up on UBUNTU 7.04, a task not made any easier by 7.04 coming preloaded with a manager that does not work !!.
I had penned an e.mail to George but as the object of the exercise is to learn to do it myself it remained unsent
syhprum

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
B.O.I.N.C
« Reply #5 on: 21/04/2008 18:23:03 »
I got through 10000 seti@home work units on my home systems a few years ago (6 systems, 7 cpus) but also got through a lot of electricity, and therefore a lot of money:(  Saved a little on my heating bill though:)
...And its claws are as big as cups, and for some reason it's got a tremendous fear of stamps! And Mrs Doyle was telling me it's got magnets on its tail, so if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you! And instead of a mouth it's got four arses!