Volume sign in the bottom right corner of my screen!!

• 7 Replies

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
I have Vista..

And you see that volume speaker thing on the bottom right hand screen?/

Well, however low I push the volume button on my laptop, it will always have 1 small line next to the picture, which means that it is still on small volume!!

I can  reduce the volume only to that point! so I either have to double click on the icon and reduce it, or just press mute..

Does anyone know why?
They say that when you die, your life flashes in front of you. Make it worth watching!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07/04/2008 23:31:19 »
It was programmed by Microsoft.

That explains all the sins of the world, including your problem.

Just be glad they didn't release it with a line that was 48 pixels wide - it has happened - with the old MS Office slide-in management bar.
The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/04/2008 00:00:01 »
LOL LOL.. Very good answer indeed [;D]
They say that when you die, your life flashes in front of you. Make it worth watching!

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #3 on: 08/04/2008 14:36:04 »
Well, however low I push the volume button on my laptop, it will always have 1 small line next to the picture, which means that it is still on small volume!!

I can  reduce the volume only to that point! so I either have to double click on the icon and reduce it, or just press mute..

Does anyone know why?

I guess it makes it harder to accidentally mute the sound completely.

I suspect it is done that way to minimise support calls from people whose sound has mysteriously "stopped working" ...
« Last Edit: 08/04/2008 14:38:12 by techmind »
"It has been said that the primary function of schools is to impart enough facts to make children stop asking questions. Some, with whom the schools do not succeed, become scientists." - Schmidt-Nielsen "Memoirs of a curious scientist"

Offline Nobody's Confidant

• Neilep Level Member
  • So loud silence can be.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08/04/2008 17:25:04 »

Does anyone know why?

I guess it makes it harder to accidentally mute the sound completely.

I suspect it is done that way to minimise support calls from people whose sound has mysteriously "stopped working" ...

there's an idea.
Nothing is absolute. It takes a thousand people to make a stereotype, only one to grind it into the dust.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08/04/2008 18:01:06 »
I never give Microsft credit for anything - if there is accidentally something "good' in the software, it is an accident or a new, untrained programmer fresh out of school that still cares and the manager's haven't beaten into conformity.

I'd be using Linux if their GIS program didn't require a degree in computer programming to utilize and I have always hated TLK or TKL or whatever that scripting language is.

GRASS also does not do volumetrics and other little touches I need for my work.
The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08/04/2008 18:16:04 »
I have Vista on my laptop and I have no problems getting the lines next to the volume thingy disappear.
Carolyn

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08/04/2008 19:21:31 »
I have Vista on my laptop and I have no problems getting the lines next to the volume thingy disappear.

Yes it was only quite recent ago!!
If I mute it, then un-mute it.. There are no lines next to it.. But if I increase the volume, and lower it all the way down again.. There is till that little line!!

IT's annoying because I can still hear things quietly..