Does Banana eating encourage insect bites?

• 6 Replies

Offline Lynda

• View Profile
« on: 17/05/2008 18:42:51 »
I was interested to read the transcript of your last Sunday's programme including the bit on Mosquitos.    (I was out last Sunday)

A few weeks ago I had loads of large, red itchy bumps come up on both my arms and across my chest, under my bust (underneath the bottom bit of my bra!).    I normally eat one banana after my muesli in the morning but I had to stop eating bananas as I heard that bananas can make us attractive to biting insects.    Since I have laid off the bananas for now I haven't been bitten anymore despite doing gardening last weekend.

Is it true about bananas making you more attractive to biting insects?
LYNDA
Only when the last tree has died & the last river has been poisoned & the last fish has been caught will we realise that we can not eat money

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17/05/2008 20:22:49 »
OOOH I have never heard that before. But I love Bananas...at times that is breakfast! Those mosquitoes do love me too!

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline bucio

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/05/2008 01:11:39 »
I was interested to read the transcript of your last Sunday's programme including the bit on Mosquitos.    (I was out last Sunday)

A few weeks ago I had loads of large, red itchy bumps come up on both my arms and across my chest, under my bust (underneath the bottom bit of my bra!).    I normally eat one banana after my muesli in the morning but I had to stop eating bananas as I heard that bananas can make us attractive to biting insects.    Since I have laid off the bananas for now I haven't been bitten anymore despite doing gardening last weekend.

Are you sure it wasn't an allergic reaction or something? I doubt that after eating one banana your body could attract any insects...

Offline Lynda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/05/2008 09:23:14 »

Are you sure it wasn't an allergic reaction or something? I doubt that after eating one banana your body could attract any insects...

I normally eat one banana every breakfast.    I am missing my banana at the moment! I only had a bowl of muesli this morning!
LYNDA
Only when the last tree has died & the last river has been poisoned & the last fish has been caught will we realise that we can not eat money

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/05/2008 12:43:50 »
Lynda what else did you eat that banana with that might have
disagreed with you.
Rosalind Franklin was my first cousin and one my life's main regrets is that I never met this brilliant and beautiful lady.
She discovered the Single DNA Helix in 1953, then it was taken by Wilkins without her knowledge or agreeement.

Offline Lynda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/05/2008 16:42:18 »
disagreed with you.

Nothing which I normally eat - just my normal muesli!
LYNDA

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/05/2008 16:58:27 »
disagreed with you.

Nothing which I normally eat - just my normal muesli!

Ok Lynda, I was wondering if there is anything else that might have been a cause. Did you buy that banana from a different store or grower??
Rosalind Franklin was my first cousin and one my life's main regrets is that I never met this brilliant and beautiful lady.
She discovered the Single DNA Helix in 1953, then it was taken by Wilkins without her knowledge or agreeement.