Is water combustible? Under what circumstances might it burn?

• 4 Replies

Offline Tset Tsyung

• First timers
    • View Profile
I have been told that when water is under the correct circumstances (such as pressure and temperature) and then has a catalyst in the form of an explosion added then water vapour can become flammable!

I was told this when discussing alternative methods for improving fuel sources in cars.

I was told (by someone who is either telling the truth or mistaken) that in the sixties he knew someone that ran a mini 1000 with an extended ram jet.  This allowed him to run the car on a mixture of paraffin (illegal) and water.

What are the necessary conditions needed to create the above environment for water to become explosive/flammable?
« Last Edit: 23/06/2008 08:54:34 by chris »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Catalysts can be used to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen.
The hydrogen can then be used as fuel in an internal combustion engine...
http://peswiki.com/energy/Directory:Hydrogen_from_Water#Catalytic_Systems

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Water vapour won't burn (except in an atmosphere of fluorine).
Catalysts can only make reactions happen faster- they don't make reactions happen that are not energetically favoured; you need an external engery source to do that.
Please disregard all previous signatures.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #3 on: 04/07/2008 00:19:32 »
Burning is the process of oxidisation i.e. combining with oxygen to release energy.  Water is already oxidised, so you can't 'burn' water - it's already been 'burnt'.

...And its claws are as big as cups, and for some reason it's got a tremendous fear of stamps! And Mrs Doyle was telling me it's got magnets on its tail, so if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you! And instead of a mouth it's got four arses!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/07/2008 01:53:09 »
Some chap did ask a question with a similar explosive edge......I can't remember who it was, but he's gallant, charming, a bonviveur and raconteur.....

...anyway...his question can be found via the below link which takes you to a page on the other end of it !!.....amazing isn't it ?.......you know.....links and all that !!

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6950.0
Men are the same as women, just inside out !