Why doesn't water burn?

• 1 Replies

The McKone Family

Why doesn't water burn?
« on: 04/07/2008 09:33:18 »
The McKone Family  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hello Your Nakedness,

Nearly two years since I discovered the best  show on Radio, the Internet... Heck, the best show anywhere, bar none. Long  boring drives are a thing of the past since I discovered you lovely people...  Jeez, I sound like I'm starting a love letter. Best get to the point  before I loose my head:

We have all seen pictures of the demise of the Hindenburg, horrible flaming wreckage crashing down around a stunned and panicked crowd while a reporter cries out: "Oh the Humanity..." The lesson would seem to be, don't use Hydrogen in airships as it has a tendency toward  extreme "explosiveness". A good if Sad lesson.

We have also been taught in school that  three things are needed to make a fire. Fuel, Heat, and Oxygen. Right?

So? What, you may ask, is my point?

Well Water is H2O, if I remember my basic Chemistry correctly, and so I am wondering why people who like to bath in candle lit bathrooms don't explode in flames like....welll, like the Hindenburg?  Hydrogen is present, Oxygen to make it burn bright, and sparking a candle would  seem to provide the final element. Why no Boom?

All the best and keep up the brilliant  work.

A Loyal fan from Canada

Dr. Larry S McKone
(Before you ask, my PhD is in Philosophy,  not Chemistry.)

What do you think?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Why doesn't water burn?
« Reply #1 on: 05/07/2008 21:40:03 »
Because the chemical reaction has already taken place and the energy of the explosion released when the compound water was formed.
Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!