Are children of the same sex more likely in a family?

• 2 Replies

Offline Matthew

• First timers
    • View Profile
Matthew asked the Naked Scientists:

Love the show, have heard every minute since inception via podcasts! I'm only sad that I now have to wait a week between shows!

My question:  When I'm walking in a mall or store, it seems I much more often see families with kids of predominantly one sex.  For instance, it seems I'm more likely to see a 4-girl or 4-boy family than a 2-2 split. I realize many things may bias this... a mom may take only the girls out, or I more likely notice the more odd family.  Is there any basis for this. Would this more likely depend on the mom's physiology or the dad's?

What do you think?

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14/07/2008 07:37:09 »
it's the y that determines the sex of a child. So it's up to (future) dads to make sure the ratio is even.

there is some evidence that men in high stress jobs produce more girls... but this needs more peer review.

Offline Matthew

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/07/2008 02:57:22 »
Yes the Y determines sex, and this may all be wives' tales, that 1) X sperm and Y sperm behave differently, something to the fact that Y sperm are faster, but run out of steam faster, but X sperm are slower but can run longer, and 2) that the female chemistry also affects the sperm movement.  It may be vastly complex really.  I just wonder if anyone's ever done stats on predominance of one sex over mixing.