Morning sickness during pregnancy; why?

• 3 Replies

lyner

« on: 17/08/2008 22:22:24 »
This is such a common problem for women during pregnancy. It suggests that there must be an evolutionary advantage. What possible advantage can there be? Or what? Help me with this one please.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18/08/2008 00:50:26 »
There was a study that suggested that it encourages the mother to eat plainer foods and protects the embryo

"A notable current scientific hypothesis is that morning sickness exists as a safeguard for the embryo's health. Biologists Gillian V. Pepper and S. Craig Roberts have done a study that indicates that the intake of alcohol, sugar, oils, and meat can trigger morning sickness. This then acts as a way of discouraging ingestion of less healthy foods."

from wiki.

lyner

« Reply #2 on: 18/08/2008 10:17:06 »
Thanx.
That sounds fair enough.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/08/2008 11:07:40 »
That makes good sense to me too!,, I did wonder about that.. I only got sick 1 time with three pregnancies and it was only 1 morning out of two years 5 months worth of being pregnant!! It was great.. I was an extremely healthy happy preggo! LOL.. I felt great when I was pregnant other then catching a cold... thats always miserable... I would have lived my life in that state.. as I felt good strong and happy most all of the time...

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."