No wonder kids can't spell

• 9 Replies

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« on: 23/10/2008 16:21:19 »
The brats were watching TV and there was an advert for "Stylin' Studio". What the hell is wrong with putting the G on the end of Stylin rather than an apostrophe (which will probably end up being abused anyway)?

And while I'm at it - quite some time ago now I was in a burger bar of ill repute and there were some young girls sitting at the next table. Whenever any of them said something funny, 1 of the girls said "LOL" rather than laughing.

WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO!!!???
Fledgling science site at http://www.sciencefile.org/SF/content/view/54/98/ needs members and original articles. If you can help, please join.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #1 on: 23/10/2008 16:32:41 »
Yeah - it's funny how so much that is regarded as progress seems like regression.
...And its claws are as big as cups, and for some reason it's got a tremendous fear of stamps! And Mrs Doyle was telling me it's got magnets on its tail, so if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you! And instead of a mouth it's got four arses!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/10/2008 19:31:53 »
The brats were watching TV and there was an advert for "Stylin' Studio". What the hell is wrong with putting the G on the end of Stylin rather than an apostrophe (which will probably end up being abused anyway)?

And while I'm at it - quite some time ago now I was in a burger bar of ill repute and there were some young girls sitting at the next table. Whenever any of them said something funny, 1 of the girls said "LOL" rather than laughing.

Oh, that drives me insane!  I won't patronize a business that intentionally misspells the name of their establishment!

I can't even bring myself to abbreviate you, be, you are, great, etc. when texting!
Carolyn

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/10/2008 19:36:24 »

....and one more thing.  I can't believe you, Mr. Pedant, didn't spell out the number one!  For shame! [V]
Carolyn

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/10/2008 20:07:35 »
*hangs head*  [V]

I did it in the cause of brevity.
Fledgling science site at http://www.sciencefile.org/SF/content/view/54/98/ needs members and original articles. If you can help, please join.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23/10/2008 22:17:03 »
*hangs head*  [V]

tsk tsk
Carolyn

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24/10/2008 02:50:30 »
*hangs head*  [V]

When did you get your first breviary, Father Ted?

(Oh - Never mind, I get it. You were trying to imitate Kurt Russell.)

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24/10/2008 14:54:28 »
Kurt who?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #8 on: 24/10/2008 17:51:54 »
I think it's the recession.

Perhap Victor Borge would have invented 'Recessionary Language' today instead of 'Inflationary Language'.

'Anyone for tennis?' in inflationary language becomes; "Anytwo five elevennis?", but in recessionary language it would become "Anyhalf three ninnis?"
If brains were made of dynamite, I wouldn't have enough to blow my nose.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24/10/2008 20:20:44 »
I think it's the recession.

Perhap Victor Borge would have invented 'Recessionary Language' today instead of 'Inflationary Language'.

'Anyone for tennis?' in inflationary language becomes; "Anytwo five elevennis?", but in recessionary language it would become "Anyhalf three ninnis?"