A hotel puzzle

• 3 Replies

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
A hotel puzzle
« on: 19/11/2008 22:56:59 »
Three people book in to one room in a hotel. The room costs 30 for a night so each hand over 10. When the three people settle in the hotel manager gets a phone call from head office to say all rooms now cost 25. The manager gives the bell boy 5 and says he is to give it to the three men. The bell boy is grumpy and didn't get a tip so he pockets 2 and gives the men the other 3. The three men have all paid 9 making 27 and the bell boy kept 2. This makes 29 so where did the other 1 go?

Answers on a postcard to "I am a maths genius and have a brain bigger than JimBobs bum"
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
A hotel puzzle
« Reply #1 on: 20/11/2008 00:40:10 »
In the end, the three men have only paid 27, not 30.  The 2 kept by the bell boy should be subtracted from the 27, not added to it.

Try it with different values:-

The room now originally costs 33, so each man pays 11.  The cost, once again, drops to 25, so the total refund due is 8.  The bell boy keeps 2 and refunds 6, thus each man has now paid 9 again, for a sum of 27, and the bell boy has still got his 2, giving us our total of 29 again, only this time we're 4 adrift instead of 1.
...And its claws are as big as cups, and for some reason it's got a tremendous fear of stamps! And Mrs Doyle was telling me it's got magnets on its tail, so if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you! And instead of a mouth it's got four arses!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
A hotel puzzle
« Reply #2 on: 20/11/2008 04:14:25 »
Answers on a postcard to "I am a maths genius and have a brain bigger than JimBobs bum"

The answer would be large enough for a bill-board should MIL(f)'s Bum be used.
The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
A hotel puzzle
« Reply #3 on: 20/11/2008 18:09:49 »
This puzzle stopped my husband from falling asleep last night. He usually drifts off before me and snores so I asked him this before dropping off knowing he would have to figure it out before sleeping. I fell asleep before him for once. Tee, Hee. He solved the puzzle but didn't realise I was messing with his head!
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.