0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Oh yes, when I cook brussel sprouts or cabbage everyone else wants to leave the house.Are you sure it is CO-OP brand, not PO-OP brand?
But you must have noticed the smell of cooked cabbage or brussel sprouts? There's some sort of chemical reaction going on here such as some volatile compound which is being created as the vegetables are being cooked. Any ideas?
When cabbage is cooked, the sulphur that it contains actually multiplies! The longer itís cooked, the more it multiplies. It is this sulfer smell that causes some to wrinkle their nose.
Would it be possible to have bacteria living in a microwave? Surely the microwave radiation would eventually sterilize any living thing within it. I know you get 'dead spots' in ovens caused by the interaction of standing waves but presumably these are small or the oven would not work?
A piece of charcoal in the pot will neutralize the odor given out by the cabbage, boiled in the ordinary way.
One teaspoon of charcoal has a surface area of more than 10,000 square feet.