What is the Internet Explorer 8 - Browser Like??

• 5 Replies

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« on: 05/05/2009 18:23:06 »
I have just done a Windows AV update scan and it asked me if I want to install the IE 8 browser.

I do not know anything about it, such as is it a faster, saver browser than IE7
which I am using now as well as GoogleChrome, that's too slow for me whereas
I find IE faster upload or downlaoding.

Also does IE8 look clearer and tidier than IE7 does now?

Thanks Rosalind
Rosalind Franklin was my first cousin and one my life's main regrets is that I never met this brilliant and beautiful lady.
She discovered the Single DNA Helix in 1953, then it was taken by Wilkins without her knowledge or agreeement.

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #1 on: 06/05/2009 00:58:12 »
Windows has been offering (pushing) IE8 via Windows Update since last Tuesday.
I haven't tried it yet, but it is the succesor to IE7 and sooner or later (6-9months I guess) Microsoft will stop releasing patches and bugfixes for IE7 and you'll be forced to move over.

Personally, I'll wait a few more weeks to allow more (inevitable) bugs to be ironed out...
"It has been said that the primary function of schools is to impart enough facts to make children stop asking questions. Some, with whom the schools do not succeed, become scientists." - Schmidt-Nielsen "Memoirs of a curious scientist"

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/05/2009 11:53:48 »
Windows has been offering (pushing) IE8 via Windows Update since last Tuesday.
I haven't tried it yet, but it is the succesor to IE7 and sooner or later (6-9months I guess) Microsoft will stop releasing patches and bugfixes for IE7 and you'll be forced to move over.

Personally, I'll wait a few more weeks to allow more (inevitable) bugs to be ironed out...
Thanks techmind but yesterday was the first that Microsoft had asked/offered me the IE8 browser, I clicked on "Don't Install" being cautious mainly.
Yes good idea I'll wait for a bit until
I do install the replacement for this IE7 to IE8 as you'd advised.
Rosalind Franklin was my first cousin and one my life's main regrets is that I never met this brilliant and beautiful lady.
She discovered the Single DNA Helix in 1953, then it was taken by Wilkins without her knowledge or agreeement.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/05/2009 11:58:56 »
I use IE8 the only complaint I have with it is that it is sometimes reluctent to download PDF's then I swap to Safari, no big problem
« Last Edit: 14/05/2009 12:01:28 by syhprum »
syhprum

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16/05/2009 11:34:10 »
I use IE8 the only complaint I have with it is that it is sometimes reluctent to download PDF's then I swap to Safari, no big problem

Thanks syhprum and this morning, I have just been asked by my MSN thing if I wantt to change to IE8 but I do use GoogleChrome.
Although with GoogleChrome, I can't find the tools facility on that browser. Or other things that I can easily use on IE.

I do use GoogleChrome for PDGs sometimes or scan them through.

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #5 on: 01/06/2009 19:52:27 »
Ok, I've been using IE8 at work for a few days now.

It's got a few neat features like colour-coding "tabs" where you've spawned one tab from another. It remembers lots of extra 'history' which is neat in that if you've shut down the browser you can re-open where you left off, including all tabs (how often have you shut down the whole of IE7 when really you only intended to close one tab?). Even just opening a new empty tab 'suggests' the recent sites you've been to. On the other hand this presents more of a privacy/potential embarrassment risk - so they've also added 'in private' browsing which is a mode which doesn't remember all this 'helpful' history.

On the flip side, I've had it go "Not Responding" and need to be closed down with Task Manager a couple of times now, on very mainstream websites.
Quite a few sites don't fully load or aren't fully functional in IE8 - this may be because IE8 is purportedly more standards-compliant... but IE8 does have an IE7 'compatibilty' mode which you can choose to use (per site) which works as IE7.

I don't know how the security compares with IE7 (there's probably supposed to be improvements), but I've heard quite a few security concerns with Chrome, so IE8 might well be safer than Chrome.
"It has been said that the primary function of schools is to impart enough facts to make children stop asking questions. Some, with whom the schools do not succeed, become scientists." - Schmidt-Nielsen "Memoirs of a curious scientist"