How can I clip sections from podcasts?

• 6 Replies

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« on: 20/05/2009 03:24:25 »
Is there a way I can edit podcasts so I can supply just the section of interest instead of having to forward through the whole show?

thanks.
« Last Edit: 23/05/2009 14:38:43 by chris »

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile
Re: How can I clip sections from podcasts?
« Reply #1 on: 20/05/2009 23:21:55 »
You can do that with Audacity
--------
I tried installing Jesus on my Scientific Method and I got a Blue Screen of Eternal Damnation.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/05/2009 01:24:11 »
thanks

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/05/2009 09:09:43 »
In Audacity it is possible to play mp3 format recordings, but to create (encode) mp3 it is necessary to install a separate mp3 encoder … http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&item=lame-mp3

[The encoder is not included with Audacity to avoid copyright infringement]

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/05/2009 09:42:16 »
If it's our podcasts, you can download individual components of any show that we have transcribed - if you look at an interview/news item etc, on the left hand side of the screen there is a speaker icon, and under that it says "[...or download mp3]".  Hitting that just downloads the audio for that particular item.

However, I think we're the only podcast to offer this, so with others Audacity would be the best route.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #5 on: 23/05/2009 14:38:06 »
Indeed; another way to send people to the desired segment, assuming it's a Naked Scientist podcast, is to do exactly as Ben suggests but just send someone the URL (by copy shortcut, or copy link text (depending on the browser) - then they can listen directly with one click and no need to email big audio files.

Again, if it's not a Naked Scientist podcast then you're out of luck...but then who needs to listen to a podcast that's not a naked scientist podcast ;)

C
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception - Groucho Marx

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24/05/2009 08:20:00 »

Again, if it's not a Naked Scientist podcast then you're out of luck...but then who needs to listen to a podcast that's not a naked scientist podcast ;)

C

well, that's true.. but isn't it nice to confirm stories and idea with lesser podcasts?

thanks for the help and TNS podcasts that provide just the segment is très clever...