head injury

• 2 Replies

Offline deb

• First timers
    • View Profile
head injury
« on: 31/07/2005 20:59:42 »
I would appreciate any help or information.

Nearly 3 years ago I had a fall and was knocked unconcious for approx 20 mins. When I came to, there was a puddle of blood from my nose and I had two black eyes. From then on I suffered headaches, dizzyness and visual disturbances. After a few weeks of severe headaches I visited an optician who advised me to go to the GP or Hospital as soon as possible because of the presence of pappilodaema in both eyes. After a visit to the local Accident and Emergency hospital the doctor diagnosed Benign Intercranial Hypertention, subsequently I have had Diamox prescribed to various levels, had multiple Lumber Punctures and finaly a VP Shunt. The headaches and visual disturbance have continued along with aches and pains in my neck and left arm. I have had some relief from my symptoms with deep massage to the neck and shoulders. I am concerned that the injuries from my accident are more relevant to my current state than my consultants recognise, if this is the case, should I be looking for additional/alternative treatment? Is there any connection between head injuries and visual loss/disturbances or any research to help me find a way forward.
Any information or leads would be appreciated.

Dabra Johnston.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: head injury
« Reply #1 on: 31/07/2005 22:18:40 »
Debra...I just wanted to welcome you here to this site and wish you all the very best for what was obviously quite a trauma !!..stick with us and hopefully some advice will ensue.

Best Wishes

Neil

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!
Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Allison

• View Profile
Re: head injury
« Reply #2 on: 21/08/2005 06:27:16 »
Deb,

This website, http://www.nora.cc/patient_area/vision_and_brain_injury.html, may be able to give you some information.  Have you seen a neurologist?  What were your other injuries?  I am not a doctor, but the pain in your neck and arm sounds like you might have damaged something other than your head when you fell, especially since massage help the pain a bit.  You might (if you haven't done already) get an xray of your neck and back.

Wish I could be of more help.