0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
I thought Microwaves only heated stuff that had water in it
Microwaves heat up anything that has molecules that are polar, ie, where the charge distribution is uneven on the molecule. Water is the most common, but many things are able to be heated in a microwave. Easiest that comes to mind in the winter is the overpriced bags of reject Chinese wheat that are sold as warmers, to be used instead of a hot water bottle. They are microwaved for a few minutes until they are hot. These contain no water, especially after being warmed up. You also find ceramic ware that heats up, while others are unaffected. Heating depends on the molecules getting energy added, either from contact with a hotter object, or via being moved by a high power RF energy field. Thus remember that microwaves heat not only water, but almost any thing that is placed inside them, it is just that most of the time the water is a major component of the goods added.Just remember that they can cause things to catch on fire if heated too long. My sister needed a new microwave after she did this one day, as she would dry dishcloths in the microwave and one day the time was around a minute too much...............As to the label saying do not microwave, I would point out that a "Reasonable Person" would have read the instruction manual for the microwave, where it says that it is to be used for food only.........
QuoteI thought Microwaves only heated stuff that had water in it Ice is made out of water and your microwave will not heat it. 
It is a myth like so many things which get passed around particularly on the Internet. Microwave ovens work by dielectric heating. ...sorry, you cannot view external links. To see them, please
REGISTER or LOGINMaterials vary... Polyethene or PTFE will remain cold in a microwave but PVC would melt if left in long enough.
yes.....yes...next time I will condcut an experiment to read the instructions.......
Quote from: neilep on 18/07/2009 19:47:32yes.....yes...next time I will condcut an experiment to read the instructions.......Bah! Humbug! Reading instructions is for chickens! Not sheepies!
I have never heated clothing in the microwave but I did heat those aroma therapy gloves and slippers filled with the seedy stuff for scent and warmth holding properties!
Have you tried wearing the t-shirt whilst it is in the microwave. (MMmmmm, I can already smell roast mutton...) 
Quote from: MonikaS on 18/07/2009 23:46:41Quote from: neilep on 18/07/2009 19:47:32yes.....yes...next time I will condcut an experiment to read the instructions.......Bah! Humbug! Reading instructions is for chickens! Not sheepies!Besides as a sheepy, I of course can't read !...nor type.....erhmmmmm....DOH !!  
As I wrote on another thread a few days ago, a microwave oven pumps 700watts (or whatever it's rated for) of microwave energy into the enclosure - it has to go somewhere. If there's nothing in the oven that is a more effective absorber, it'll still put heat into poorer absorbers in there.Energy which doesn't get absorbed in the main cavity will inevitably be dissipated in the magnetron (which generates the microwaves in the first place), and if the oven is operated for too long with too little absorbing material in there then the magnetron is likely to overheat (potentially destructively).