Photo enhancement

• 4 Replies

Offline L_D

• View Profile
Photo enhancement
« on: 03/08/2009 02:51:58 »
Hi, I found this photo yesterday and was hoping someone could enhance it to show what is being reflected better...

Both bits of reflective paper are interesting but I had to giggle when I saw what looks like a person reflected in the reflective paper on the right.

The original HD version is from here:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a15/AS15-87-11839HR.jpg [nofollow]

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Photo enhancement
« Reply #1 on: 08/08/2009 02:02:11 »
Its just a reflection of the leg above it, or H G Wells wearing sunglasses.
If brains were made of dynamite, I wouldn't have enough to blow my nose.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Photo enhancement
« Reply #2 on: 08/08/2009 16:50:45 »
To me it looks like a Star Trek crew member circa 1990, with a flying saucer behind his head...

[attachment=9374]

It's pareidolia ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia
« Last Edit: 08/08/2009 17:10:11 by RD »

Offline pmb00cs

• View Profile
    • My Website.
Photo enhancement
« Reply #3 on: 09/08/2009 11:25:02 »
Hi, I found this photo yesterday and was hoping someone could enhance it to show what is being reflected better...
I hate to break it to you but image enhancement, of the type shown in films and TV shows, isn't actually possible. You cannot get a higher resolution image than the source image.

Image enhancement in the real world is either what the do to photo's of stars before putting them in the magazines, or taking a corrupted source image and extracting as much of the original as they can. In neither case is the result a higher resolution than the original image.

Any examples of image enhancement that do generate a higher resolution image, through such things as extrapolation of the colour gradients, tends to produce a poor quality, and unreliable, image.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Photo enhancement
« Reply #4 on: 09/08/2009 11:46:21 »
If you can model the specific lens used to take a blurred photo it's possible to sharpen it but you can't do much with a badly pixelated image as there aren't enough datapoints.
...And its claws are as big as cups, and for some reason it's got a tremendous fear of stamps! And Mrs Doyle was telling me it's got magnets on its tail, so if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you! And instead of a mouth it's got four arses!