Non Life Sciences > Physics, Astronomy & Cosmology

There is no big bang of the universe

<< < (4/7) > >>

Simmer:
I can see I haven't convinced you that the world is about to end![:)]

Still, I think we might be able to agree on Rosy's point, that it makes sense to increase the diversity of our energy sources so that if one fails (or starts causing unforeseen problems) we aren't totally screwed.

Personally I'm still pinning my hopes on fusion but I liked your idea of solar power from space, indirect fusion as it were [:)]  

If neither of those pans out in the necessary timescale and it turns out that that there is a problem with greenhouse gases (just hypothetically, don't toast me!) then we could look at cleaning up fossil fuel emissions (eg burying CO2) or perhaps even back to nuclear fission, for all its faults.  

David Sparkman:
The plants are very good at burying CO2. We humans can survive down to 10% oxygen while canaries die at 12%. Was the earth once much lower in Oxygen (i.e. higher in CO2)? Did that lead to the end of the ice age as more trees grew? There is a balance out there that controls the swing of temperature. Rather than say the sky is falling because things change, let's understand this fantastic planet.

I understand the dinosaurs also couldn't stop the temperature swings, even though they had a program of eating all the plant eaters that were producing all the methane gasses by farting. I try to help too by eating cow. If you want to help keep the C02 down, plant a tree.

David

Simmer:
Yes plants are pretty good at burying CO2, they've been at it for hundreds of millions of years.  Trouble is humans have spent the last two hundred years digging it all up again!

That's a joke rather than a serious argument, btw, I've given up trying to convert you on the basis of existing evidence and intend to wait until Chicago becomes a seaside winter sun resort. [:D]

However I pour scorn on your assumption that, if the worst comes to the worst, at least we will see those bloody canaries off by pointing out that atmospheric oxygen concentration hasn't fallen below 12% for 600 million years or more!
From http://www.palaeos.com

David Sparkman:
That is a very interesting website, I have bookmarked it and will read though it as I can. The graphic is also very interesting. Do average temperatures or estimates exist for these periods? I realise that other external things may have changed that would void direct relationships between gas levels and temperature, but it would be a place to start.

Don't get too upset with Canarys. Miners used to use them as a warning system for dead areas of mines. If the bird died, you had better get out. My point was that humans seem to be designed to survive in lesser oxygen levels. The graphic shows a good deal of variation, which does not seem attribable to humans.

I realise that a lot of our chemicals including Carbon have been buried in the past ages which make our planet more compatable with human life. For example, if we extract all the sulfur and we would be in a terriable fix. Venus has way too much sulfer in its atmosphere in the form of Sulferic acid. The concept of planet engineering is kind of SiFi but is really what we are heading to.

The present age gives certain countries in the world very good agriculture and devistates others. Were the world slightly warmer, Russia would have better and more reliable crops. Were the world cooler, Iraq and Iran might return to being the food centers they were 4-5 thousand years ago.

There was an artical on Drudge today that suggested that the warmer climates were drasticly reducing the amount of Carbon in the soils (organic materials?). The numbers seemed rather large, but we know that organic material is consumed by organisms that benefit by warmer weather. Here in the states they blame it on earth worms consuming the mulch in forests. The earth worms were introduced to new areas by fishermen.

I would think from the graphic, the earth is in danger of loosing its historical Carbon Dioxide. It has rarely been this low.

David

tianman32:
Human  will get into cosmic age  in the 21st century.

Three problems in cosmic age:time problem,energy source and velocity problem will be solved.Time problem will be solved by human body relativity.Energy source will be solved by superconducting theory of human body.Velocity will be solved by thinking control human body science.Quasar is cosmic model of light velocity spacecraft.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version