Are gold and diamonds found on nearby planets?

• 6 Replies

Offline RRR

• View Profile
« on: 24/09/2005 08:01:24 »
Are there a gold and diamonds into the nearest planets
(Moon, Mars and Venera)?
What is amount of a gold (and diamonds) into the Moon, Mars and Venera?   
On the Earth different golden and diamond's mines are located in area of mountains..
But the Moon ,Mars and Venera have a lot of high mountains..

Where is the biggest mine  of a gold and diamonds between planets of Solar system? 

« Last Edit: 23/06/2008 09:18:11 by BenV »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #1 on: 03/07/2008 23:23:59 »
Well most precious stones are aluminium silicates and usually crop up wherever there's been volcanism or hydrothermal activity. Hence, since other rocky planets adjacent to ours - such as Mars which is home to the largest volcano in the solar system - have evidence of past or current volcanic activity, I'd argue that it's a good bet that there are precious stones there...

Chris
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception - Groucho Marx

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/07/2008 23:54:05 »
It's not in our solar system but the white dwarf star "bpm 37093" a.k.a "Lucy" contains a lot of bling...

Diamond star thrills astronomers 

Twinkling in the sky is a diamond star of 10 billion trillion trillion carats, astronomers have discovered.
The cosmic diamond is a chunk of crystallised carbon, 4,000 km across, some 50 light-years from the Earth in the constellation Centaurus.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3492919.stm

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #3 on: 03/07/2008 23:56:54 »
I've heard of theories that suggest that the heavier elements are found closer to the Sun.  There have also been a few quite knowledgable people theorising that the gas giants may have a giant diamond at their core and this was something that was postulated in one of ACC's novels.
...And its claws are as big as cups, and for some reason it's got a tremendous fear of stamps! And Mrs Doyle was telling me it's got magnets on its tail, so if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you! And instead of a mouth it's got four arses!

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08/07/2008 00:13:55 »
Unlikely,

We have to get there to really know. Light spectrum however gives us a good idea of the composition of our sun and other stars in the nearby universe.

But red Mars is full of surface iron
The Truth remains the Truth regardless of our beliefs or opinions the Truth is always the Truth even if we know it or do not know it (The Truth remains the Truth)

paul.fr

« Reply #5 on: 09/07/2008 12:37:42 »
Isn't there a rather large diamond on Venus, left there by the russians?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13/07/2008 21:36:00 »
It's not in our solar system but the white dwarf star "bpm 37093" a.k.a "Lucy" contains a lot of bling...

Diamond star thrills astronomers 

Twinkling in the sky is a diamond star of 10 billion trillion trillion carats, astronomers have discovered.
The cosmic diamond is a chunk of crystallised carbon, 4,000 km across, some 50 light-years from the Earth in the constellation Centaurus.

50cent is already on his way there
Fledgling science site at http://www.sciencefile.org/SF/content/view/54/98/ needs members and original articles. If you can help, please join.