If a tesseract is the three dimensional projection of a cube of four dimensions, what does that make time?

• 2 Replies

Devin Purvis

Devin Purvis  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi everyone, my name is Devin Purvis in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

First I would just like to say I love the podcast. You're all very good at what you do and have great chemistry.

My first question is: If a tesseract is the three dimensional projection of a cube of four dimensions, what does that make time? I was under the impression time was the fourth dimension.

My second question is: Did that last question make any sense?

Thanks

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 20/05/2010 21:30:03 by _system »

Offline Murchie85

• View Profile
Hi Devin,

I don't pretend to be an expert in this  but as far as I am aware, time is considered as being merged into our 3 dimensions in that we have a space-time. I believe time would also apply to the fourth dimensional shape in the same way it applys to a 3 dimensional cube. Micheo Kaku's book on hyperspace goes a great way in explaining some of the intricicies of extra dimensions.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Oops! - missed this question first time around.

A Tesseract is a three-dimensional representation of a cube existing in four spatial dimensions which, if it is to exist in what we would describe as a dynamic universe, would have to exist in a five-dimensional space-time environment.

A better analogy for a cube in our four-dimensional space-time would simply be a series of cubes, with each cube in the series representing the same single cube but at different points along the temporal dimension.
...And its claws are as big as cups, and for some reason it's got a tremendous fear of stamps! And Mrs Doyle was telling me it's got magnets on its tail, so if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you! And instead of a mouth it's got four arses!