Effect on hazard classification of diluting hydrobromic acid?

• 4 Replies

Offline pkgem

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Does anyone know the effect on hazard classification of diluting hydrobromic acid? Concentrated hydrobromic acid is classed as a corrosive. I have made a 2M solution of the acid and do not know whether the solution is still classed as Corrosive (C) or whether it is now classed as an Irritant (Xi) or Harmful (Xn). I work as a lab tech in a university hence my interest in proper hazard labelling. Please does anyone know the answer? Better yet, does anyone know of a website or book were the effects on hazard classification of diluting acids (and other chemicals) is discussed?

Many thanks,
Gem

Offline pkgem

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/07/2010 12:11:29 »
Thanks Lightarrow but it is the hazard data specific to a 2M solution that I require. Cheers anyway  [:)]

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/07/2010 14:11:59 »
I don't want to sound like an old fogey; but surely, as a lab-tech in a university, you must have access to a more reliable source of hazard and safety information than an internet forum!

This forum is replete with highly knowledgeable and helpful/friendly contributors  - they almost outnumber the wackos, single-issue fanatics, and trolls; you are lucky the only response is from lightarrow who has provided a sensible answer and method to continue research.  i count myself as ignorant but unmalicious in chemistry matters - but there is no way one can tell from an answer on a forum what the hidden agenda of the responder is. 

Matthew
Thereís no sense in being precise when you donít even know what youíre talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline pkgem

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2010 15:27:00 »
I see your point Matthew but I'm new to the Chemical Engineering department - there are more engineers, physicists and mathematicians than chemists here. I have found plenty of information on concentrated hydrobromic acid in textbooks and on the internet, not that I needed it as I have the original material safety data sheet anyway. However, when it comes to a 2M solution, I cannot find any information. As for "hidden agendas", I'm hoping for an answer along the lines of "still corrosive" or "no longer corrosive in dilute form - irritant/harmful instead" - I'm not sure how much agenda you can hide in such answers? Thanks for your concern anyway.