For real maths geeks - fancy a challenge?

• 2 Replies

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« on: 11/08/2010 17:00:25 »
p v np solved? 

One of the Clay Millennium Challenges is being claimed!!  There seems to be a real brouhaha about it.  Unlike the award for Poincaré Conjecture awarded to Dr. Grigoriy Perelman I think this was more of a shock - and the claimant relatively unknown.  I think a few mathematicians would have bet on p v np being last to be solved, if ever.

You can get the paper here if fancy trying to find a mistake or counter-proof.

Matthew
« Last Edit: 11/08/2010 17:15:24 by imatfaal »
There’s no sense in being precise when you don’t even know what you’re talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12/08/2010 02:20:16 »
The overwhelming response to this topic may be indicative of the mathematical prowess of your average poster  [;D]
There ain'ta no sanity clause, and there ain'ta no centrifugal force æther.

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #2 on: 12/08/2010 12:18:29 »
The overwhelming response to this topic may be indicative of the mathematical prowess of your average poster  [;D]
I think the problem regarding commenting on this is it appears pretty abstract. I read it's taking several teams days to check for inconsistencies in the proof.
My mum would say "That's good dear, but will it help me with the washing up?" [:D] As she used to when I was writing BASIC programs as a kid.

I'd like to know what practical solutions this proof with allow us.