0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
How do I know that I do not smell the oxide of the material that is used to produce the spark?In nature Thunder Storms, lightening produced OZone, how do I distinguish the fresh small of the plants aromatic camouflage?
Why on earth would those things (portable stereo with cd reader, notebook pc, voice recorders, radio) generate ozone?
Because of high values of electric field in air.
Quote from: lightarrow on 29/08/2010 20:53:11Because of high values of electric field in air. Lightarrow,Is it the potential gradient that is most important? I think that's the same as the dielectric stress, and in this situation the dielectric is air. If that is true, then ozone can be produced even at low voltages.
Those things don't have high field gradients; certainly not high enough to generate ozone.
And my other point i.e."Also, these things don't make ozone; if they did I could smell it."In any event, why do they use high voltages to make ozone if they could use low voltages?
Here's a simple question.Do you have any evidence for the production of ozone by electrical circuits running at less than 100 V?
Another interesting point is that making ozone takes a lot of energy.
There are two things needed to sustain an electrical discharge. One is a field gradient
big enough to ionise the air in the first place; the second is a big enough field to accelerate those ions and get them to produce secondary ionisation.The latter is lacking in this case.
"It would appear that they do produce ozone, just not very much, so it may not be detectable with the average hooter."Is at odds with "then try to smell the device' inside. Then put batteries in, close the device and let it operate for some minute. Then open it (maybe uncover the batteries' compartment) and try to smell it again. If you perceive a different smell, it's O3.It's possible you perceive the smell even as soon as you take the device the first time to remove the batteries. It's the same smell you perceive sometimes in a room full of operating electronic devices."Also, the dominant smell of "electronics" is usually a mixture of compounds but benzoquinone is the big contributor.
Many, if not most circuit boards are made from paper bonded with phenolic resins.
According to the font of all knowledge (Wikipedia) "Most people can detect about 0.01 ppm of ozone in air where it has a very specific sharp odor somewhat resembling chlorine bleach."The pong from my printer smells more like ammonia to me, but it might be ozone I'm smelling. The typical pong from electronic equipment seems a lot different to me, and some of it might be the secondary effects of oxidation caused by ozone as Tommy suggests.
I stumbled over this information as I was looking for, googled for, small OZone generators.This may help support some posts....sorry, you cannot view external links. To see them, please
REGISTER or LOGIN.
Ozone does smell rather like chlorine, but not quite the same. I have not noticed the smell near any low voltage electrical gear so think that any smell you spot if you do this "Take some electronic device like: portable stereo with cd reader, notebook pc, voice recorders, radio or any device which you are sure there is some (even small) component which operates at high voltage or that can create in some way, even very localized, high fields. Remove any battery/power unit from it, if you can, and let the device/s stay, open, for some time, better if you blow air in it, so that air inside the device is changed with new one; then try to smell the device' inside. Then put batteries in, close the device and let it operate for some minute. Then open it (maybe uncover the batteries' compartment) and try to smell it again. If you perceive a different smell, it's O3." will be due to something else- probably the equipment warming up a bit.It smells like benzoquinone to me, and that's not the same as ozone.