Can a paper plane survive in space?

• 8 Replies

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« on: 11/11/2010 17:30:10 »
For those of you that have been following the Registers PARIS mission - updates galore here.

PARIS page  Congrats to all involved.
There’s no sense in being precise when you don’t even know what you’re talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11/11/2010 21:21:31 »
Something similar (but probably on an even lower budget) ... http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=34727.0

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/05/2011 17:36:22 »
no= sun radiant will?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/05/2011 06:53:12 »
Will whoever stole the verbs from Czarcar's post please put them back so we can see what he meant.
Please disregard all previous signatures.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/05/2011 08:59:24 »
I cannot tell a lie.
There ain'ta no sanity clause, and there ain'ta no centrifugal force ćther.

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/05/2011 16:20:40 »
the sun's radiant would degrade the paper so it will crumble?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/05/2011 16:47:28 »
If you read my link which started the post - it didn't crumble.  Although the plane was not high and not up for long.  Good quality paper relies on the strength of the cellulose fibres - I am not sure how much they get degraded bu sunlight
There’s no sense in being precise when you don’t even know what you’re talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19/05/2011 17:11:29 »
If you read my link which started the post - it didn't crumble.  Although the plane was not high and not up for long.  Good quality paper relies on the strength of the cellulose fibres - I am not sure how much they get degraded bu sunlight
i'm thinking any solid aint 100% solid & the miniscule ratio of liquid & gas gets affected by the radiant?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19/05/2011 22:10:24 »
Yeah - I think the subliming off of liquids is a real problem - the vulture website will detail the paper they used, but bear in mind it was only up just above atmosphere for a few minutes