Does gravity change in the centre of the Earth?

• 5 Replies

Assad Ali

« on: 14/12/2010 10:30:03 »
Assad Ali asked the Naked Scientists:

Would the force of gravity change if you were to tunnel down into the Earth?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 14/12/2010 10:30:03 by _system »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14/12/2010 10:59:48 »
Yes, the force of gravity on you increases.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/12/2010 11:04:15 »
Yes.

Obviously in the middle of the earth, one would have all the mass above a person and one would essentially be weightless (0 gravity).

According to the notes I found on the web, the earth is not a uniform density, and thus it was predicted that the highest gravity was predicted to be found at the Core/Mantle Boundary, of about 10.7 m/s≤, at a depth of about 2885 km (note, it is about 9.8 m/s≤ at the surface).  As you descend further, the gravity would decrease to 0 in the middle.

http://www.chsfootball.net/earth_g_2.doc

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/12/2010 11:07:20 »
  As you descend further, the gravity would decrease to 0 in the middle.
Why zero and not infinity?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/12/2010 12:33:19 »
We seem to get this question about once a week at present.  Clifford's answer that it diminishes in general is correct; I hadnt realised that specifically that due to non-uniformity actually goes up for a while.

C4Me - the reason it drops is, that presuming symmetry, one only feels attraction from the sphere 'inside' your position, everything outside your position cancels out.  Both Newton and Gauss proved this - the easist wiki/google search is on "Newtons Shell Theorem"
Thereís no sense in being precise when you donít even know what youíre talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/12/2010 12:46:05 »
C4Me - the reason it drops is, that presuming symmetry, one only feels attraction from the sphere 'inside' your position, everything outside your position cancels out.  Both Newton and Gauss proved this - the easist wiki/google search is on "Newtons Shell Theorem"
Oh yes, thanks for clearing that one imatfaal. I knew it was past my bed time [:)]