Can I escape a black hole?

• 1 Replies

Kevin Ross

« on: 15/12/2010 00:30:03 »
Kevin Ross  asked the Naked Scientists:

In a black hole, the escape velocity is higher than the speed of light so since nothing can go faster than the speed of light nothing can escape from a black hole. However, escape velocity is based on just a starting velocity from the surface of a mass.

If I'm in a space ship inside a black hole near the event horizon and the ship has a thrust greater than  F=GM1M2/R^2 (the force of gravity), why can't the space ship leave?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 15/12/2010 00:30:03 by _system »

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15/12/2010 03:46:04 »
Kevin Ross  asked the Naked Scientists:

In a black hole, the escape velocity is higher than the speed of light so since nothing can go faster than the speed of light nothing can escape from a black hole. However, escape velocity is based on just a starting velocity from the surface of a mass.

If I'm in a space ship inside a black hole near the event horizon and the ship has a thrust greater than  F=GM1M2/R^2 (the force of gravity), why can't the space ship leave?

What do you think?

Everything eventually escapes a black hole. You will never be able to physically pass the same boundary twice, but eventually in a thermodynamic runnaway of heat, the black hole will mangle all the information about you (your matter) and tunnel this out of the black hole via quantum tunnelling.