I dont understand why ever one thinks black holes circular ?

• 3 Replies

Offline mrMan

• First timers
    • View Profile
you could still spin around and be a different shape maybe you could slam the top of that circle it would a half circle with wave on it and a shore line

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21/02/2011 11:47:07 »
The sphere is the shape that minimizes gravitational potential - ie any other shape is more energetic and can/will decay to the sphere (things tend towards the lowest energy state).  Some models of black holes spin - so I guess that an oblate distortion would occur - but the maths of being sure on this is way beyond me.  I am not sure I can follow the second half of your question.
Thereís no sense in being precise when you donít even know what youíre talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/02/2011 19:37:36 »
Nobody has ever seen a black hole. It's widely hypothesised that they are point like. Does a point have a shape?
I think what the OP means is something like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaHLwla2WiI

but the "surface" of a black hole isn't real, there's nothing there to "splash"
Please disregard all previous signatures.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/02/2011 21:51:16 »
That must be a space bubble, as I've never been able to make a bubble of water that stable.

I was thinking of the Solar System Heliosphere, based on the sun's movement through space.

However, apparently that model is now being revised.

See Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliosphere

Anyway, a sphere is a minimum energy.  In fact, planets and moons over a certain size all coalesce into spheres. 

Of course, our Earth isn't a perfect sphere either...  it has a bulge in the middle.

The black hole is likely spinning, and not all forces around the black hole will be uniform.