How Did Ancient Pipe Organs Work?

• 3 Replies

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« on: 04/03/2011 14:10:41 »
I had the immense honour of hearing Widor's Toccata last night at St Paul's Cathedral in London - and a question occurred to me.  The organ in St Paul's was constructed at the same time as the building- it was contracted for in 1694 - and I presume completed at the point when Parliament declared St Paul's completed almost exactly 300 years ago.  The very largest pipes produce a sound that one feels as much as hears (even in 1694 a 16 foot pitch pipe was included) and I would guess a fair volume of air needs to be pushed around. 

My question is - what power source and air storage devices would such a machine need?  This was before even the steam engine was in use - so the power would have to be either man/animal or water/wind? It couldn't just be one bloke with a foot pump, or could it? 
There’s no sense in being precise when you don’t even know what you’re talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04/03/2011 15:58:00 »
Take a look here. for searching on it. It seems as Jennings Organs built the organ pipe though?
"BOMB DISPOSAL EXPERT. If you see me running, try to keep up."

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/03/2011 16:14:17 »
Take a look here. for searching on it. It seems as Jennings Organs built the organ pipe though?

I'm scared to click on the organ gallery !!
Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/03/2011 18:12:35 »
Until fairly recently, most church organs were human powered.
There ain'ta no sanity clause, and there ain'ta no centrifugal force ćther.