Catnip !..What Effect Does It Have On Deano And Other Questions ?

• 4 Replies

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile

Dearest Peeps Of All Knowing Stuff And Those With Degrees In Catnipology !

As A sheepy I of course luff herbs and stuff. Herbs and stuff are my all time favourite greeny planty foody stuff that give me joy and taste yummy !   It's all I think about really..

Now take a look at Deano

[attachment=14380]
[attachment=14382]
[attachment=14384]

Deano The Cat That Ewe Are Taking A Look At !

He's intoxicated, euphoric, elevated ....high ?

Well, that's the question really........Deano is enjoying Catnip and the resultant behaviour is quite extraordinary......He licks it, rubs his head on it, rolls over upon it then after a few minutes he just lays there and I tell ewe.....he's out of it !!....ewe can see it in his eyes...they are like...well glazed !!!

I want to know a few things please.

What is happening to Deano ?..Is he a stoned cat ? (he recovers immediately !)...Is there a benefit to the plant (Nepeta cataria) for it to have this effect on cats in the wild ?  If this was available for human use would it be deemed an illegal narcotic ?

As far as I know I am not aware of such  a substance that the mere odour has such a (harmless ) effect on a human !.....Does it have the same effect on big cats too ?

So what's going on ?

whajafink ?

Cos I don't know !...and I reckon ewe do !...and if ewe do know then ewe can help me know too can't ewe ?...and then we'll both know together and I will be as klevur as ewe...which is nice !.....and ewe should let me know because if ewe forget...ewe can ask me and I let ewe know too !....a never ending circle of knowledge bliss !

Hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

Neil
If I try To Take His Catnip
I Get Nipped By A Cat
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
This is a mix of fact and (reasonable) speculation:

There are pesticide chemicals in catnip (fact), so if it's rubbed into fur it will help to get rid of fleas and other pests - as such (into speculation now), cats have evolved to enjoy rubbing themselves on this plant, and the evolved neurological reward mechanism is basically just a "high"!

As I understand it, many big cats enjoy it just as much as Deano, though I wouldn't want to be close enough to a stoned tiger test this out.

I suspect that by rolling in it, eating it etc, cats are a good seed dispersal mechanism for the plant - but that's pure speculation.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
LOL.. I never did understand the whole cat nip thing.. Great Question Kind Sir!
Nice answer Ben.

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
This is a mix of fact and (reasonable) speculation:

There are pesticide chemicals in catnip (fact), so if it's rubbed into fur it will help to get rid of fleas and other pests - as such (into speculation now), cats have evolved to enjoy rubbing themselves on this plant, and the evolved neurological reward mechanism is basically just a "high"!

As I understand it, many big cats enjoy it just as much as Deano, though I wouldn't want to be close enough to a stoned tiger test this out.

I suspect that by rolling in it, eating it etc, cats are a good seed dispersal mechanism for the plant - but that's pure speculation.

Thank ewe Ben.

That's quite an evolutionary route taken .....that the cat has learned to enjoy rubbing on the plant....and I agree regarding the seed dispersal. I wish there was a reward for me when I rub on things !! :-)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
LOL.. I never did understand the whole cat nip thing.. Great Question Kind Sir!
Nice answer Ben.

Thanks mam !