What about this chemical?

• 4 Replies

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
« on: 09/05/2011 04:17:41 »
Does F3SnOSnF3 exist, and if so what are its melting and boiling points, and what are its solubilities in water and oil?

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09/05/2011 13:38:33 »
Does F3SnOSnF3 exist, and if so what are its melting and boiling points, and what are its solubilities in water and oil?
If the first letter is F and not Fe, I think you should have written Sn2OF6. I will have to find among tin minerals, then I'll tell you.

Edit. I haven't found it among minerals, so I too don't know if it exists. Did you make a compound that makes you think to that formula?
« Last Edit: 10/05/2011 17:38:52 by lightarrow »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/05/2011 19:03:35 »
I think he may well have written it as he did to indicate a particular structure.
Whether or not the stuff exists I don't know. There don't seem to be any references on the web to "bis trifluorostannyl ether" or any other names I could dream up for it.
Please disregard all previous signatures.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/05/2011 10:49:23 »
BC - a question from curiosity/ignorance - Why do you call it an ether?  I thought ethers were organic, which in turn I thought meant at least some carbon.  Or can the tin and fluorine act in place of a carbon group? 
Thereís no sense in being precise when you donít even know what youíre talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/05/2011 06:15:28 »
Tin is a Group 4 element, and can act like carbon in certain situations.