How would you damp a camera?

• 6 Replies

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« on: 17/08/2011 17:10:49 »
I am thinking of making a knock-off / el-cheapo steadicam and curious what amount of damping to aim for?  Any suggestions? 

I already have a very basic handmade steadicam (uj and semicircular weighted bit) - but fancy adding a bit of damping for the vertical movement of walking.  I presume that I should aim for critical damping - but any ideas/knowledge would be greatly appreciated. 
There’s no sense in being precise when you don’t even know what you’re talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17/08/2011 18:47:03 »
Normally damping is done with grease.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/08/2011 19:02:50 »
Some sort of fluid friction would probably be best. Air or liquid would work. You'll want to be able to tweak the amount to match whatever you use for a spring.

You might try a modified bicycle pump, or some sort of piston/cylinder arrangement with an adjustable port in the piston.

There ain'ta no sanity clause, and there ain'ta no centrifugal force ćther.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/08/2011 06:52:54 »
How big of a device are you building?  A gyroscope would help you with rotational dampening, although you would have to be careful not to introduce a vibration.

I would assume some steady-shot features are software driven, but I'm having troubles imagining how that would work.  Perhaps combine line and feature recognition with super-high-speed imagery, and merging the multiple frames to improve resolution or image quality.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/08/2011 07:07:32 »
It turns out the pros don't use any damping on theirs. What you need is a "constant force spring".

(What he on about now! Constant force my arm!!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iso-elastic
There ain'ta no sanity clause, and there ain'ta no centrifugal force ćther.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/08/2011 09:27:16 »
Gaeser - thanks for that, perfect!   I had assumed that I could see only part of the assemblage on the professional ones - but that something was missing.  But I just wasn't thinking straight Should have looked at my desk lamp!! Not sure I can bodge something together that is better than my current super lo-tech version - but got to give it a go.  I was thinking of a simple piston with small holes and a spring to create fine adjustments.

Sean - a simple rod pushing/pulling through grease was my other thought, but to be honest I could not see how to keep it clean and contained without proper engineering.

Clifford - I knew that the original steadicams - take a look at this beautiful excerpt Raging Bull were almost entirely mechanical.  A friend of the family allowed me to use one when I was about 11-12 - it cost more than his or my fathers car! 

Thanks for all you ideas - good stuff indeed
There’s no sense in being precise when you don’t even know what you’re talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29/08/2011 14:16:09 »
use honey, thats the best u will get out there
"There is never too late to make a change".