?Is the Universe contracting, The Big Anti-Bang

• 3 Replies

Offline Robro

• View Profile
« on: 28/08/2011 05:31:22 »
Hypothetical:

In the beginning, there was an infinite anti-singularity. Suddenly, without apparent cause, an implosive force pulled vast amounts of energy from the anti-singularity into it's void, coagulating into matter. Since then, the Universe went through a hyper-implosive segment where the Universe became smaller at an accelerated rate. The inside edge of the anti-singularity will forever be beyond our observation because the Universe is contracting faster than the speed of light. We just keep getting smaller and smaller.
"Consciousness is the Universe viewing itself through a microscope."

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28/08/2011 15:53:57 »
I think this hypothesis contradicts observations though. Red shifted galaxies and the CMB all suggest the universe is expanding.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/08/2011 17:06:48 »
Hi Robro, since this is proposing a new theory, I've move it to the New Theories forum.  We try to keep the Physics, Astronomy and Cosmology forum for Q&A discussion of mainstream theories.

Aside from what Ben pointed out (that this idea contradicts observations), there is another issue right away with this idea.  What do you mean by:
In the beginning, there was an infinite anti-singularity.
?

A singularity in cosmlogy is when the gravitational curvature of space-time becomes infinite, such as when something becomes infinitely dense according to the theory.  I'm not sure what an anti-singularity would be.

Offline Robro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/08/2011 00:40:27 »
Sorry bout that, I posted in the wrong forum. Just having some fun with thought play. Wondering if a contracting Universe could be adjusted to satisfy all the observations. But you brought up a good question, the hypothetical anti-singularity. I suppose it would be the opposite of the singularity. An object or area infinite in size with zero mass.
"Consciousness is the Universe viewing itself through a microscope."